Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

"I ordered in July and it sat in it's box until school started a few weeks ago, and the issues started almost immediately.   Makes me wonder if I'll ever purchase another HP product in my life." - Exactly the same situation. And I've had wifi, dvd drive, or battery problems with two previous HP laptops many several years ago but they were budget Pavilions.  I thought since this was mid-range it would have better components and decided to give them one more chance.  I also bought it in July and at least I feel a little better having spent $600 instead of $800, but still.  Would've probably been better satisfied if I'd purchased something cheaper.  I would recommend following Blyat's approach which Orvy was kind enough to enumerate on this post.  Basically download drivers directly from your processor's website and pause Windows updates to avoid having the conflictive driver overwrite the updated one.  You would probably have to do this over and over again until we get an update with non-conflicting drivers.  What I have personally done to avoid being caught off guard with an unexpected update is disabling the audio device in Device Manager and using an external mic.  I have had zero issues with this setup.  Hope this helps.

HP Recommended

Musicpos,
Thanks much for posting about the new AMD Radeon Graphics Driver release.  I checked it out and it is, indeed, a new release.  The old version was 20.8.3.  The new one, which has a release date of 9/16/2020, is 20.9.1 -- considered a "minor release" according to its semantic versioning.  That is, it wasn't just a patch; it was a substantial change.  Following the instructions in the release notes to uninstall the old version first, then install the new version, I updated the drivers.  The installation was nominal and the Radeon software, including its browser was all replaced with the new version.

This was a bit of a "leap of faith".  Although the release notes talk about gaming features and issues that were fixed, I am presuming that the video and sound issues were fixed, too.  If I find problems, I can always drop back to 20.8.3, which seemed to be forking well.  I do have Windows Updates paused as long as possible (35 days). 

So far, no audio/video/sound issues seen.  A "quick test" of Zoom seems to be working fine - and the graphics are exceptionally crisp and clear. 

When I visited the AMD website after installation, I signed up for software updates so that I'd be notified directly of any new releases.

HP Recommended

Musicpos, sjn60, Blyat, JPazM, et al.,

After all our discussions about drivers, versions, updates, pauses, reinstallations, tech support and such, allow me to make an observation.  We have all been roundly and soundly dissing HP for doing something bad in regards to video and sound issues with our new 15m-ee0013dx HP Envy x360 laptops.  Somehow, we have assigned responsibility to HP with minor gnashing of teeth at Microsoft Windows Updates, all the while letting AMD off the hook.  In retrospect, I'm not sure who is to blame.  HP didn't build the Radeon Graphics adapter, although they did install the device along with the AMD Ryzen CPU/GPU that needed the drivers.  Microsoft Windows puts in OEM drivers they are given or develop for the updates.  Those initial drivers were broken, obviously.  AMD has NOW released drivers that seem better, but **bleep** was that all about with the early broken ones?  Did they know their drivers were broken and released the CPU/GPU too early?  Did they hope people wouldn't notice?   Now that AMD has released at least two sets of drivers, they come off looking like the heroes and saviors.  Well, I wonder if that's really true, or whether AMD is just as complicit in this "cluster".  I'm thinking that the "blame" (or our wrath) can be shared pretty equally.  I'm appalled that I have spent as much time on this website as I have researching and trying to solve an issue that should never have occurred.  Like some, I do now question HP's component selection and quality standards.  Windows bulldozing over everything remains true to form.  And AMD's reputation as high quality, better than the others, technically superior CPUs and systems is now tarnished.  I don't know what I'm going to do next time I need to go out and get a laptop.  But I can tell you that my decision is now much more difficult.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.