Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 17 Y0F93AV
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My audio pops for a fraction of a second each time any audio sound is played. This includes system sounds as well as sound files, website sounds, anything. I have read previous threads on this and they are all too old (2015 to 2017) apparently since I generally do not see the same options as described today.

I know WHAT the problem is, I just can't find how to fix it. The problem is that when no audio has played for about 10 seconds, the system is shutting off the audio system. As soon as ANYTHING needs to make a sound, then it POPS when the audio is turned back on. As long as audio continues to play there are no more pops. After seconds of silence, then it pops again the next time any sound is made.

I have heard this is a driver setting or something to tell the system not to disable the audio on silence, but I don't know where to change it in the current OS.

Any pointer would be appreciated. Thanks. 

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @Enigman, Welcome to the HP Support Community.  

Apologies for all the inconvenience

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, 

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue, and in order to fix this issue,  your computer needs to be serviced.  As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now,

As this is a hardware issue, I'd suggest youContact HPin your region regarding the service options for your computer. 

If you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty. If yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from. Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.   

Have a great day!  

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

HP Recommended

How did this become a hardware issue? I have found many fixes online, all of which are driver or settings related, but none match the driver names I have or the choice listing in a system setup program since my laptop is newer than most of the solutions online. The general consensus is that the driver is shutting off the audio after several seconds of silence and then the pop happens when the audio comes back on for a new sound. but again, none of the solutions show the drivers or parameters I have. I'm looking for a fix specific to my system.

This is also a new problem which indicates that this started after a new automated update.

HP Recommended

As per the previous post system recovery is the last option already tried that's not a fixed the issue ,its hardware issue 

You can try ones again ,

1. Turn off your HP laptop.
  2. Disconnect all external devices (printers, USB drives, etc.) from your computer.
  3. Remove all recently added internal hardware.
  4. Press the Power button to switch your HP laptop on.
  5. Once your unit starts booting, immediately press the F11 key. Repeatedly press it until you see the Choose an Option screen.
  6. Select Troubleshoot.
  7. Choose Reset this PC.
  8. You can either opt to keep your files or to remove everything.
  9. Select Keep My Files when you want to retain your data. Once you click Reset, your operating system will be reinstalled. The process may take a while.
  10. Choose Remove Everything when you want to remove all your personal files.
  11. You can opt to remove everything solely on the drive where your operating system is installed. On the other hand, you can click All Drives when you do not want to retain any data.
  12. You can also fully clean the drive you selected or just remove your files.
  13. Click Reset.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted.

HP Recommended

LOL ... This is a business resource. I am SOOO not going to do a full hard reset just for an audio nuisance. It would take me weeks to recover all my software and settings after a full reset. I'd switch to a new computer before I'd do that.

There has to be a driver only recovery, upgrade or reset to do long before a full reset.

HP Recommended

Hi@Enigman,

`We have done the basic troubleshooting as per the document and the notebook needs to be checked taking remote access so that get to know it's a hardware or software issue.

I'd suggest you contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your computer or HP Chat Support Team.

HP Recommended

You're talking like we've done all kinds of trouble shooting. No. We haven't done any trouble shooting. You're just saying to take it in for service where they will no doubt do a hard reset for no accepted reason. I have explained that I will not do that because that's an extreme fix for a small nuisance. Not acceptable for a critical business resource. That's a bit like selling the car because it got dirty.

Does anyone else have more information on fixing the audio drivers?

HP Recommended

Hi@Enigman,

your computer needs to be serviced.  As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now

I would request you to reach out to our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to check the available service options in order to diagnose the computer physically.  HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

HP Recommended

Edit.

You can try going in to sound properties and unchecking "audio enhancements"

It might help for your issue.

My audio pops and crackles more than yours.  Mine is a 2021 model though but there are a few posts active right now with newer models with same problem. My problem is described below.  Possible your problem too.

Anyway..Read my below post and maybe it will help

I think this is too much for anyone here to troubleshoot but I'm hoping.

I have the same problem.

In my case - As far as I can tell it's a latency issiue between the interuppt and the processes.

It's a driver issue in my case.  Seems to most likely be a wifi driver.  I have yet to make any headway but, along with the crackle and pop of my audio,  my wifi does hang a tad and web pages load a tad slower even though my internet speed is fine.

I don't think it's the audio driver.

There is a small utility called LatencyMon(it's free) that can help you better pinpoint the issue.

My only option may be to do a full restore which is unfortunate. The worst part is if I don't know what caused it, how to I know not to repeat the same driver mistake?

HP Recommended

As it turns out, the pop was coming from an external amp connected to the headphone jack. So all the diagnostics were for nothing. Apparently the amp disables the audio out when idle, then pops when the amp comes back on. I didn't discover this until I pulled the cable and the internal speakers in the laptop did NOT pop after an idle audio.

HOWEVER, now for some reason my master volume control no longer does anything. The only way I can change the volume on my headphone jack is to go to the settings app, then to sound, then advanced settings where the multiple slide bars are and change the slider labeled "Speakers (Conexant ISST Audio)" That changes the headphone jack volume. "Speakers (Conexant ISST Audio)" is also the label on the slider when I open what should be the master volume slider from the task bar.

For criminey sakes, how do I fix THIS now? Any help or pointers are appreciated.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.