Tutor
9 6 0 2
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Audio sounds normalized, resulting in distored loud-soft sound

Envy x360 m6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just bought this HP notebook.  Seems very good, except for the audio.  When music is playing, it appears to automatically cut the volume when the level gets high, then it slowly increases.  This gives music an annoying loud-soft-loud-soft feel that sounds awful.  I don't want it normalized, just played straight.

This occurs both for online music and for local music.   However, it only happens with the internal speakers.  With an external speaker plugged in, no distortion.

I am trying to turn this off, if at all possible.  My searching shows that some drivers have "loudness equalization" for audio effects;  However, when I go to Playback Devices > Properties, the Enhancements tab does not have any options at all.  Any ideas?  The laptop will be used for frequent music playing, so this is a deal breaker if it can't be modified.

4 REPLIES 4
HighPerform Tutor
Tutor
9 6 0 2
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

These are Bang & Olufsen internal speakers.  Anyone else experiencing this issue?

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
3304 3302 178 337
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi@Highperform,

Welcome to HP Support Forums. Best platform for all sorts of solutions, tips and tweaks to your questions/issues.

To have the best experience on HP forum, visit our HP Forums Guide to know more.

Audio sound abnormal. Is that right?

Thank you for sharing the issue details. I would like to help you.

I request you to share the model number of the PC for a more accurate solution. In the meanwhile, try the steps below and check if that helps.

• Right click on Start and select Device manager.
  • Then click the arrow next to Sound Video and game controllers.
  • Right click on the Audio device driver and select Uninstall.
  • The close everything and restart the PC and check if that fixes the issue.

Note: Don’t check the box in the prompt which asks to delete the driver from PC permanently.

Hope this helps. Let me know for more.

Happy posting.

Resolv_S

Glad to help you. I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
HighPerform Tutor
Tutor
9 6 0 2
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I did as directed and it appeared to work.. for awhile.  A few days later, it's back to the distorted sound.  At first I thought this was an unwanted setting that needed changed, but now it appears to be an issue of defective speakers or drivers.  I'm planning to return the laptop unless you have further suggestions.  Too bad;  It's a great laptop otherwise.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
3304 3302 178 337
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi@Highperform,

I thank you for the reply.

I recommend you try doing a BIOS update as a last resort and check if that helps.

Use the link below to find the BIOS for your PC.

http://hp.care/2bjHn5I

Hope it helps.

Happy posting.

Resolv_S

Glad to help you. I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation