Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
M8W98AV HP ENVY 17-n000 Notebo
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Bang & Olufsen sound on this notebook  (speakers) is  unacceptable  when compared to  other common sound on my other computers. Best way to describe it is "Tin like" sound. I did update to the latest Realtec driver. Any suggestions appreciated.

28 REPLIES 28
HP Recommended

Hi @PinesGuy,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I came across your post about the Notebook, and wanted to assist you! I have looked into your issue about your HP ENVY 17-n000 Notebook and issues with sound from external Speakers. Here is a link to Bang & Olufsen support site. They would be best suited to troubleshoot their product.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I am addressing the speakers INTERNAL to the HP HP ENVY 17-n000 Notebook (M8W98AV). This notebook came with the B&O sound system.  I'm referencing the computers onboard speakers. This system came directly from HP Corp. Any assistance appreciated.

Thank you for assisting me.

HP Recommended

Hey @PinesGuy ,

I apologize for the misunderstanding, I see the configurations of the HP ENVY 17-n078ca Notebook. Here is a document on troubleshooting sound.

Please make sure your updates have been done on the Notebook. In the device manager under sound right click and update the driver. Here is another step to try.

1. Right click the Speaker icon in the bottom right corner by your time.
2. Click Playback Devices.
3. Click Speakers/Headphones.
4. Click Properties.
5. Click the Advanced tab on the Properties window.
6. Change the Default Format drop-down to the highest quality.
7. Apply the properties.
8. Click OK to close the properties window.
9. Click OK to close the Playback Devices.

Hope this helps you as it has helped others.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Yeah right ! I just bought HP pavilion yesterday expecting superb sound but when i play a youtube music video it really sounds awful but i'm ok maybe it's because the audio quality but then when i play an mp3 audio the sound was really slow and terrible and sort of 'breaking' when i pumped up the volume..

COME ON! my 5 year old sony vaio sounds better than this. Any HP Personnel care to reply on this??????

HP Recommended

Even I purchased HP pavilion X360 S series a week back thinking that speakers will be awesome. Have tried updating drivers and what not, but the sound is very less. I have to play all audio files at maximum volume (90-100). Playing audio is youtube also doesnt solve the problem :(. I thought B&O speakers would be better than Lenovo's.

HP Recommended

I have the old Beats audio HP Envy and not that great either. It has at least 5 speakers too. it gets a bit farty when the bass is turned up and also a bit tinny.

The best audio on a laptop i've experienced is on my old Toshiba with Harman Kardon speakers. The bass was incredible.

You'd have thought with such big names as Beats and B&O the sound would be amazing.

I think you should do more testing when you next release a laptop with a big brand named audio system.

HP Recommended

I'm reposting my original reply to this thread, as it seems ot have been censored by HP staff??

I have been an absolutely loyal HP customer for the last 6 years when it comes to laptops. This is my 3rd HP laptop and I bought HP laptops for my family members.

I have a 

HP ENVY m7-k001xx
Model # M1W07UA

with Bang & Olfusen speakers.

I also have an HP Envy dv7-7000 CTO Edition, from 2012, which I am trying to replace. Its Beats Audio speakers are *so* powerful that I almost never bring it past 3/4ths volume, because of noise complaints.

This new model, the sound sounds like CRAP and it is *so* quiet that I **struggle** to hear VLC movies with the volume maxed and VLC volume at 200%.

Imagine my surprise the other day when I realized that my Samsung Galaxy S5 CELL PHONE had a *substantially* louder speaker!

This is a disgrace! I've had the laptop for a month, and I just noticed that my right two USB ports don't work at ALL, no power, nothing. I've tried absolutely everything.

I am leaving the United States for South America again for another few months this weekend, and I am very sad I will be stuck with this horribly defective laptop I paid good money for Smiley Sad I'll sell it to anyone for $750.

HP Recommended
You guys should go to playback devices. Double click on speakers. Go to Advanced tab in Speakers Properties. Disable "Enable audio enhancements".
I have solved the problem. But the other problem is "audio enhancements" setting in B&O play control panel is not working.. hp should fix it sooner....
HP Recommended

Waiyanminn, that doesn't work in some cases, because there is no option to "Disable Audio Enhancements." It could be that B&O audio drivers don't have this Audio Enhancements option? I really hate this B&O Audio driver, the sound is absolutely terrible.

Speakers Properties.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.