Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP spectre x360 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I can't tell for sure but I believe that the Bang & Olufsen speakers aren't activated and all of the sound is coming from the speakers from under the laptop. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@Matthew_C1

Thank you for being a part of HP Forums, 

It'll be an honor to guide you through the steps needed to identify your concern and/or address your query.

Note: Please ensure the complete product name/number for a quicker response from the community, as we need to know what we are dealing with to provide an accurate solution: Click here for steps on finding the information ( https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824 ) we need & Remember: Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

The speakers on your device is controlled/manufactured by the Bang & Olufsen brand, that said, if one speaker is working while another isn't, I recommend you update the BIOS, Chipset and Audio drivers using the HP Website.

If the issue persists, run a hardware test to identify the issue: Click here for steps.

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48 hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I tried to follow the update link you sent me but after identifying the device I was sent to a broken link and met with this page.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/error?errorType=404&source=product

I also tried to copy paste my serial number from HP support assistant to find the device manually but it couldn't find anything.

I also downloaded the HP hardware diagnostics and everything was passed.

HP Recommended

@Matthew_C1

Thank you for responding,

This is the Riddle_Decipher, again!

That's quite weird as the links are working fine for me, nevertheless I have entered an alternate link, you may try that and check if it works.

That said, when you performed the test, did it run by sounds on each speaker to identify if its all working fine? was it an interactive test? if not, try the below steps to ensure all speakers are working:

1. Right-click the Volume icon in the notification area.

2. From the pop-up menu, choose Playback Devices.

The Sound dialog box appears, listing the gizmos on your PC that produce sound.

3. Select a playback device, such as your PC’s speakers.

4. Click the Configure button.

The Speaker Setup dialog box appears.

5. Click the Test button.

You should hear tones from the left speaker and then the right speaker. (If the right speaker plays first, you have the speakers reversed; swap them.)

You can continue to work through the Speaker Setup dialog box if you desire to further configure the computer’s speakers.

6. Close the various dialog boxes; you passed the test.

Keep us posted, 

(We shall troubleshoot as a team, fight till the end and emerge victorious)

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

feel free to give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" button.

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I did the test and sound came out of both left and right speakers. I thought that the b&o speakers were just under the screen, above the keyboard, or is that just for air intake? If that is, in fact, the b&o speaker that no sound came out of it.

HP Recommended

@Matthew_C1

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

That's right, if the hardware tests have passed and there's sound coming out of all speakers on the test, you are looking at the air vents and not the speaker.

So, there's nothing to worry about, although, if you have low sound quality issues: Click here (step by step guide) to troubleshoot the same.

I hope that answers your query,

If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 

And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry for no reply but for some reason the HP support website didn't put my latest reply up. In the message I thought I sent I wrote that I looked online and it seems like the grill above the keyboard i actually the B&O speakers. I also looked on my laptop and there are already two air vents on the left and right side of it as well as what seems like an intake directly underneath it. I assume that the one under the laptop isn't the B&O speaker as it wouldn't make much sense to put high-end speaker in that place. I also did some further testing and I think that there is some sound coming out of the B&O labelled grill above the keyboard but I would appreciate it if you could check the laptop specification for the exact placement of the speakers as I couldn't find any. It also turnes out that there is a B&O audio control panel but it doesn't offer anything more than bass and treble settings. Another thing is that the two downward facing speakers under the edge of the keyboard are actually louder than the B&O speakers which makes the sound quality really bad. Is there any way to turn them off? Or to toggle them on and off depending on if the laptop is in laptop mode or tablet/tent mode?

Thank you

HP Recommended

I am having the exact same issue. Why did the HP Support Assistant stop replying to this thread? Was this ever resolved?

HP Recommended

Same issue here, nothing has changed on the late 2019 model it seems.

HP Recommended

I can attest to the newest model still having this issue. I ordered the top of the line Spectre x360 from the online store, only to find that the audio quality was abysmal... Literally worse than my phone. After speaking to an agent who took remote access, he recommended sending the laptop for repairs, as the speakers were simply not working, and the laptop was not setup properly before it was shipped to me. 3 weeks later (and with no “loaner” laptop offered by HP), I finally received the laptop back, only to find that the speaker quality had not improved, and there is still no sound quality coming from the Bang and Olufsen speakers. I am not impressed with this company, and recommend to anyone reading this comment to reconsider buying this computer. A high quality laptop should be just that. What a waste of 2,000 dollars. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.