Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy Laptop 17-CE0008CA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My B & O speakers fade in and out while listening to online media.  Headphones work just fine.  At times, as they start to fade, there is a bit of static, which leads me to wonder if there are some physical connections that are not properly seated, or some such thing.  I have the service manual so may take some time to dismantle the laptop to check this.  Seems odd, though, as others have reported the same fading problem.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@djs352

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Run the Audio Check in HP Support Assistant to make sure the audio device is functioning properly.

1. Go to HP Support Assistant to download and install the HP Support Assistant software, if it is not already installed on your computer.

2. In Windows, search for and open HP Support Assistant.

3. On the My devices tab, click your computer.

Selecting your computer after opening HP Support Assistant

4. Click the Troubleshooting and fixes tab, and then click Audio Check in the One click fixes section.

5. Click Next, and then wait for the audio test to complete.

Clicking Next to start the Audio Check

6. Review the test results on the audio and microphone diagnostic results display, and then click Test Audio.

Reviewing the audio test results, and then clicking Test Audio

7. If sound is not heard correctly, click Unable to Hear Audio and then follow the on-screen instructions.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I followed your instructions, and things seem O.K. for now.  The problem, however, was sporadic, so I will wait a while until I am sure the problem is fixed.  One of the diagnostic result messages was "Low Audio Device Volume - FIXED".  I will get back to you after a while.  Thanks.

HP Recommended

@djs352

Thank you for posting back. 

Work on it as per your convenience and keep me posted on the results.  

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It didn't take long to find out that the "fix" didn't work.  I was on a ZOOM call today, and sure enough, the speaker audio began to fade out.  It was set at 100, but faded down to what would normally be about 10.  The level still "showed" 100, but the real volume was super low.  Wired headphones and bluetooth devices work absolutely fine.  Interestingly, when I unplug headphones, the speaker volume is fairly good, but almost immediately the sound fades out again.  I have the maintenance manual and I am going to dismantle the laptop and assess the internal connections.  I was hoping to avoid that.  Could it be an overheating problem of some kind, or a crack in the solder, or some such problem that only shows up with heat?  This is my primary work computer so I cannot be without it for long!!!

HP Recommended

@djs352

I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to Remote into your computer and sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Just to make sure, I can keep this case open for a day and check with you after 48 hours. 

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have not had time to follow this up yet, but will in the next few days.  Thanks.

HP Recommended

@djs352

Work on it as per your convenience and keep me posted on the results.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.