Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
To elaborate a little more on what I think center does, I think if you set Center to 100%, it will be like making the music mono; putting music that is volumed more or less to either side, on both sides, with the rest of the music.
HP Recommended

I originally posted on the "Volume Swings During Songs with Beats Audio Enabled" thread, but I thought I'd repost my advice on here as well, as I was really angered by Beats Audio when all of the albums I worked on in the past sounded terrible on my laptop (I'm a studio engineer).  I do bash Beats Audio, as I can find a cheaper and better alternative to every Beats product.  To be honest, I lost some respect for Dre because of this.  In my search for answers, I discovered that the IDT sound chip is actually way more powerful than Beats Audio allows it to be.  

But, before I get into that, for those interested, here is a short writeup on what Beats Audio actually does.  Beats is software that sits on top of the IDT sound driver and controls it.  It locks down the driver, so you can't remove it's effects unless you find an alternative driver.  It also doesn't give you full control of your sound, as you can never turn it off even by clicking that check box for Beats Audio off in "listening experience".  All that checking that box does is put the Bass setting at -12, while all the other effects stay on and continue to make the vocals and guitars sound muddy, and the volume to swing with louder and quiet parts.  

The Center slider makes all sound panned in the center louder, Space is a fake surround effect that adds a sort of echo to all sounds on the far left and right channel, while Focus is a catchy name given to the sound chip's algorythm that originally allowed to tweak the output for various speaker and room types, but through Beats only changes the EQ slightly.  Beats or HP don't explain any of that, allow you to turn any of that bloat off.

In my original advice, I recommend replacing the IDT driver with a generic Windows driver, which unlocks your soundcard completely, makes it clearer, and louder.  Turning Beats off actually makes the music sound EXACTLY how the artist intended, especially on headphones.  You lose the EQ, except for Bass controls, but you will find that you don't really need it, as overall, the sound is WAY better.

So here it is.  I'm using an ENVY M6 with Windows 8, but this should work on older DV models.  This is not my ideal solution, but works well.  Also, a warning: this solution unlocks the sound card, which is VERY LOUD.

Follow these steps:

1) Press [Windows] + [X] on your keyboard and go to Device Manager

2) Go to Sound, video and game controllers

3) Click on IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

4) Click on the Driver tab

5) Click on Update Driver

6) Select Browse my computer for driver software

7) Select Let me pick from a list of device driver on my computer

😎 Select High Definition Audio Device

9) Read the warning and click Yes if you understand the risk

10) Restart computer

When your computer restarts:

1) Click on the Volume Control (little speaker) on the bottom right of the task bar.

2) Click on Speakers

3) Click on Enhancements tab

4) If you don't know much about audio, and to help prevent speaker, headphone, ear damage, click on the Loudness Equalization and click Settings, then move the slider to 3/5 or 4/5 towards Long, then click on OK and Apply

5) Enjoy AWESOME sound.

6) If you want more bass, go to Enhancements, and change the Bass Boost setting.  To keep your vocals clear, I recommend adding no more than 15dB at 50Hz for clean and tight boom, or at 75Hz for slightly dirtier boom.

BE CAREFUL, the unlocked IDT sound chip is VERY LOUD, and based on my experience, I would not recommend listening to it at more than at 45% volume without the Loudness Equalization activated.  I'm listening to a modern CD, and without the limiter, the level borders on EAR DAMAGING LEVEL on my headphones at 50%.  If you damage your laptop by using it, your warranty may not cover the repairs, so please, please, please use the limiter or be careful.

Lastly, I'll likely revisit this solution again sometime, as I'd prefer to use the IDT driver and have my EQ work.  This is possible by going through the IDT folder in Program Files, and essentially hacking the settings files in a text editor, but it's rather time consuming and difficult.  Ideally, HP should provide controls alternative to Beats Audio.

HP Recommended

Hi, i did everything you said, but when i restarted my computer it took about a half an hour and so i just powered down by holding on the power button (i know its not good for the computer). When the computer repowered i followed the rest of the directions exactly, 4/5. i have the exact same computer (ENVY m6) and it doesnt sound any louder, if anything it sounds softer. I dont use headphones an i havent yet tried but i would like to either fix the problem and make the speakers better or reverse it and go back to the origonal. Please help

HP Recommended

Killerama5,

I guess I should have mentioned that my solution was all about making headphones and external speakers sounding good.  The speakers on your laptop will never sound great.  They are too small, too crammed, and Beats Audio running your speakers is like installing a turbocharger on the engine of a moped.  Nothing will make them sound great.  But Beats has a permanent compressor/limiter that makes the volume fluctuate, but on average makes everything sound a bit louder and punchier.

To reverse the fix, just repeat steps 1 - 5, but in Step 6, click on Search automatically for an updated driver.  The process should install the IDT drivers.  

After you restart your computer, Beats Audio should be running again.

HP Recommended

your info on eq settings was helpful. made a big difference when listening on the computers speakers. i have a dv6 and couldn't get the sound right. i plan on getting headphones by beats soon to improve my listening experience. my question is on the dv6 there are adjustments for bass, treble, center, space, and focus. what does the last three mean and how can i get better sound by adjusting them.

HP Recommended

Hi. I recently bought an Envy m6 with Beats Audio. What is the preffered settings for music? How do I change the settings? Thanks!

HP Recommended

My question might sound ridiculous, but since I never experienced beats audio before I need advice to set it up and basically to just understand it. 

First of all, I have a HP envy spectre 14 and I am trying to set the sound the best I can, but yet without success. I do not have 31 Hz, I do not know if it matters much .. ??

Second, I do not like the way it is set up now since bass, or the melody is getting down while voices are in. Let me explain, for example a song will start with goods beats and nice melody, but right when voice come up the beats and te melody gets down on a way I do not reaaly like. I mean I can hear the difference and I do not know how to fix that ..

Well basically I would need some advice to set up my equalizer, I could specify what kind of song I listen since it matters, but please .. Helllllllp .. ahah 

Thanks 🙂

HP Recommended
I have external speakers as well .. 2 speakers and a bass and the floor ..
HP Recommended

I had the same issue on my Envy m6 just two days after purchase...I tried a no of options to rectify that and finally it worked ..go to control panel,then navigate to device manager and disable the audio devices (i did it foe both speakers and mic) and after a while I re-enabled them it worked for me and had no problems so far...hope this helps

HP Recommended

Thanks for all the input.  The thread has been very educational.

I think it should be pointed out that most of Beats benefits come from it being integrated with the laptops hardware.  Reverting to the standard HD Audio Driver probably detracts from that, but you can then gain a lot more control over external devices, speakers, earbuds, headphones, etc.  It will disable your laptop function keys for sound too. It is a pity that HP did not integrate a way to turn off it's features, since it ALWAYS interjects itself to some extent, killing the standard base needed to make other equalizers work properly.

Here is a video of the same procedure listed for going back to standared HD Audio Driver, and for undoing that if you choose. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MExhl8Gefpc

I have found a very nice third party equalizer.  It is not free, but comes with free trial.  It is very comprehensive. Includes 10 band equallizer with 20 band display. If you decide to buy it (I like to save different equalization setups depending on the output devices, earphones, etc.) the full version is only $4.95.  The web page for their product, ProfoundSound CSharp, is here

http://profoundsoundaudio.com

WJCole

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.