3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Beats Software Missing and IDT Audio Driver Won't Install

ENVY TouchSmart m7-j120dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I'm working my dad's laptop which my uncle gave him a few months ago. It's an HP ENVY TouchSmart m7-j120dx laptop, which came with Windows 8 but my uncle upgraded to Windows 10 Pro at some point. My dad recently did a somewhat hefty Windows Update and after it finished, the Beats audio management software disappeared and the speakers were now extremely quiet (at full volume they're barely audible). His headphone port still works like normal if he uses external speakers or headphones but the internal speakers don't work right at all anymore. I checked HP Support Assistant, which said the computer didn't need any updates. I then went to the HP website and downloaded the IDT Audio Driver for Windows 10 (suspicious of the fact that it's from 2013), but towards the end of the installation it said the update wasn't compatable with the hardware and it aborted installation. Now because it overwrote the previous (albeit broken) driver and aborted, the speakers are not only very quiet, now it says there aren't even any audio devices installed. How in the world is this possible that the driver for a 4 year old laptop doesn't work anymore with said laptop? :HalfEyes: The thing's got a lot of applications my dad doesn't need anymore so I've been meaning to wipe it clean, but at this rate now I wouldn't be able to get his speakers to work if I did so. Appreciate any help in advance! :generic:

5 REPLIES 5
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
9,855 9,844 922 1,503
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, @NarimaanV - Hope you are well 🙂

Allow me to welcome to HP Support Forums! It is a great platform to get help from the community, get suggestions and find what has worked for others!

I understand that the internal speaker is not working on your HP Envy. Let's try using the Windows default drivers. Here are the steps:

• Go to device manager.
  • Now maximize the “Sound, video and game controllers” from the list. You will see the audio driver. Right-click on “IDT high definition audio CODEC” and select “Update driver software”.
  • Select “Browse my computer for driver software” – Select “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”.
  • Select “High Definition Audio Device” (Not IDT High Def...  This is important) and click Next. You will get a warning message but reply “Yes”.
  • Once windows have successfully updated the driver software, try playing the audio again and check.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
NarimaanV
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Dvortex

Thanks for the suggestion. When I went to "Sound, video, and game controllers", it was already set as "High Definitino Audio Device" (The IDT driver is gone because I tried installing it from the website, only to have the installation say it wasn't compatable and abort AFTER having overwritten the present broken driver). Just to be safe I followed your steps anyways and it appeared to help slightly, but the speakers are still nowhere near their previous volume when the Beat Sound software was present before the recent Windows Update. I'm still boggled by how the Windows Update completely got rid of the Beat Software 😕

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
20,802 20,756 1,736 2,812
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@NarimaanV

It looks like you were interacting with @Dvortex, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 

I'm the Riddle_Decipher & I'm at your service. 

To clarify, the words quoted by you - "so I've been meaning to wipe it clean", is this already done or are you planning to do it now?

If you haven't completed that yet, you might as well use the recovery partition and reinstall the OS as it would fix all the issues including getting the beats software back, remember, it only works when you reset using the recovery manager.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

And something the Windows updates may create these issues, however, the next set of updates/patches resolve them as well, so If you've already wiped out the device, simply install all available Windows updates and it should be taken care off.

Let me know how that pans out

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask any other queries as  well,

Considering, this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
NarimaanV
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Riddle_Decipher

Sorry for the late response, but no I haven't wiped his laptop yet. He would prefer I didn't for the time being because he's got software there he's not sure he can get again on here if I formatted the drive so I don't think I can do that for now. Is there any other option by chance? I found a post (https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Audio/The-hardware-detected-is-not-supported-by-this-IDT-soft...) where a support agent linked a specific driver for someone getting the same "The hardware detected is not supported by this IDT software package" error as me, but I'm not sure if theres any other driver for me. Also is it possible the issue is because this laptop got upgraded to Windows 10 Pro? The error message would be kind of misleading since it claims "hardware" is the issue but I don't have any other ideas as to possible causes. Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos
WhackoWayneo
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your suggestions.  I was able to use the information you provided to access the correct driver you shared (High Definition Audio)  via Driver Easy and now I have sound!!!!!!!   I really appreciate your help...

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation