Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Unknown
I have an HP Pavilion dv6-7027 laptop for which I purchased a Crucial MX500 1TB SSD.  I successfully cloned its hard drive using Acronis True Image and installed it in the laptop. Everything seems to be working ok, with one exception... there is no longer any audio. There's now a red X next to the speaker in the system tray. 

The system is running Windows 7 and has the Beats audio system.

In the Device Manager on my laptop, there is -NO- "Sound, Video and Game Controllers" entry whatsoever... so, what am I supposed to do?

I guess I'm kinda confused, as I thought that cloning software was supposed to make a bit-for-bit copy of the original hard drive.

Any help would be appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi! @willy_wes,

Try updating the audio drivers on your PC from the link below and check if it helps.

Update the audio drivers using this link. Click Here

Try the steps recommended below.

Go to Windows Device Manager > Sound, video and game controllers section.
In the list of audio device drivers, look for IDT High-Definition (HD) Audio. This is the device driver for BeatsAudio (a little bit sneaky, wouldn’t you say?).
Right-click and select Disable. The downward arrow displays on this driver, indicating it is disabled. (NOTE: At this point, you won’t be able to play any music files.)
Right-click and select Update Driver Software.
Select Browse my computer for driver software.
Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
You should see a window that says Select the device driver you want to install for this hardware. NOTE: If you see a window that says something like This is the best driver for this device, exit the window and repeat steps.
In the Model box, highlight High Definition Audio Device (this is the substitute audio device driver) and click Next.
At the Update Driver Warning window, click Yes. You should see a confirmation window with High Definition Audio Device displayed. Click Close.
In the list of audio device drivers in the Sound, video and game controllers section, you’ll notice that the High Definition Audio Device now displays instead of IDT High-Definition (HD) Audio.
At the prompt to reboot, click Yes.
If the issue still persists try the steps recommended below.

If the issue still persists uninstall the audio driver from the device manager and install the driver using HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know more information about using the HP support assistant. Click Here

Lastly, try running an audio test from the system diagnostics page.

Refer this article to know more information about running system diagnostics test on the PC. Click Here

Let me know if this works!

Happy Holidays! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi!  @A4Apollo

Thank you for your help.

As I was getting ready to start pursuing your suggestions, the thought occurred to me that maybe - just maybe - the cloning software I was using was at fault... and so, I went out on the net and identified, then downloaded and installed another free utility called Partition Wizard ( MiniTool Partition Wizard | Best partition magic alternative for Windows PC and Server ).  It had the capability to do the cloning operation as well. Short story long - after using this software to re-clone the hard drive onto the SSD, no more problems with the audio - and everything (that I've tried so far) is working! The obvious conclusion - Acronis True Image for Crucial software has problems - at least, on my system.

HP Recommended

Hi! @willy_wes,

Thanks for the update.

I'm happy to hear your issue got resolved.

If you have any queries in future related to any HP products, please write back to us.

We will try our best to help you out.

Take Care!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.