Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP - ENVY x360 15.6" AMD Ryzen 7 2 in 1 Laptop - 512 GB SSD, Black
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hi there,

I'm really hoping someone can help/enlighten me. I just bought a HP - ENVY x360 (15.6" AMD Ryzen 7 2 in 1 Laptop - 512 GB SSD). I have literally just taken it out of the box and set it up. I started to play music and realised no sound was coming out the front speakers, only from the back. I'm quite confused. Do I need to set up the front speaker? Choose it to be preferred or something? Update any drivers (though as it's brand new I feel like it should be up to date?)?

Would really appreciate any advice! 

Thank you in advance.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

PROBLEM SOLVED. (UPDATE: Not solved!)

Hi, just posting again to say I managed to solve it. Posting solution for anyone else who may have this problem.

SOLUTION:

Open Device Manager,
-> Sound, Video and Game Controllers,
-> Right click Realtek (R) Audio, 
-> Update driver.
-> Restart as prompted.

HP Recommended

Back again. 

Two days later I've turned it on and the front speakers are not working again. Searching for driver updates just reports that I'm up to date. Can't think of what else to try. 

Any ideas please? I feel like it's a software issue but it's so frustrating that this is happening with a brand new laptop that I'm considering returning it. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance. 

HP Recommended

@Riri2730

I reviewed your post and I understand that the front speakers are not working.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

What is the product number of your computer?

Meanwhile, I recommend you follow the below steps and check if it helps.

The audio troubleshooter might be able to fix audio problems automatically.

To run the troubleshooter

1. In the search box on the taskbar, type audio troubleshooter, select Fix and find problems with playing sound from the results, then select Next.
  2. Select the device you want to troubleshoot and then continue through the troubleshooter. 

choose your device in the audio troubleshooter

You can also launch the troubleshooter from audio Settings. Select Start  > Settings > System  > Sound  > Troubleshoot.

If running the troubleshooter doesn't help, continue to the next tip.

Verify that all Windows Updates are installed

To check for updates

1. Select Start  > Settings  > Update & Security  > Windows Update   > Check for updates.
  2. Do one of the following:
    • If the status says "You're up to date, go to the next tip. 
    • If the status says "Updates are available," select Install now
  3.  Select the updates you want to install, then select Install.
  4.  Restart your PC and see if your sound is working properly.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi there,

Thanks for getting back to me!

No, troubleshooting couldn't identify any problems and I'm completely up to date with system updates. I've also run a search for any new audio driver updates with no luck.

Product Number:  2R564EA#ABU

HP Recommended

@Riri2730

Download and install the driver from the below link and check if it helps.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp105501-106000/sp105839.exe

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi there,

Thanks for getting back to me!

I tried to install the link you gave me, but it came up with: "The driver is not supported on this OS version (10.0.18363).

Any ideas?

HP Recommended

@Riri2730

What is the Windows version installed on your computer? (Like 1903, 1909 or 2004)

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

In the system information is says:

Version: 10.0.19041 Build 19041

Is this what you mean? (Also, I'm very sorry for my slow replies. I don't get an alert when a new message is posted)

HP Recommended

@Riri2730

I recommend you perform a reset on the computer following the steps in the below article and check if it helps.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04742289

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.