Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 14” 360
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

My built in microphone is not working properly. Picks up slight sound only if I get very close and shout.  I’ve been through the troubleshooting suggestions and it’s made no difference. I’ve updated drivers.  I can use a head set with microphone plugged into a USB port. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@DaisyP Welcome to HP Community!

An old audio driver can cause your microphone to function incorrectly. Make sure the audio driver is current.

1. Connect to the Internet.

2. In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.

3. Double-click Sound, video and game controllers.

4. Right-click the name of the sound hardware, and then select Update Driver.

Update Driver option in Device Manager

5. Click Search automatically for updated driver software, and then wait for Windows to update the driver software.

Updated Driver Software: Search automatically for updated driver software

6. Windows checks to see if updated driver software is available.

If an update is available, let Windows install the update.

7. When the update is installed successfully, a Windows has finished installing the driver software for this device window displays.

Test the microphone.

If updating the driver did not resolve the issue, continue to the next step.

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE & SKIP TO STEP 3 ONWARD

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Keep me posted, as I (Or a trusted colleague) shall follow-up on this case to ensure the concern has been addressed, 

And your device is up and running again, only in case you don't get back to us, first! 

That said, If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us, and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi and thank you for your response. I've followed all of the steps but it's still not working.  The driver is up to date. Its the default microphone with volume turned up.

I've tried the diagnostic tool which tells me that the microphone is working fine.

Any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

@DaisyP I suggest you create a new user account, to check if that works, if it doesn't work either, please backup all personal data into an external storage and use the steps from this link to reset windows.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.