3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Complete Loss of Audio & Drivers!

HP Recommended
Pavilion DV6500
Microsoft Windows Vista

Hello!

Having some audio issues with my HP Pavilion DV6500 running Vista.

A couple of days ago when watching a video from an external hardrive the audio suddenly completley muted. I restarted  the laptop and then the audio came back. When I loaded the show up again from the hard drive the sound again completley disappeared.

On a second restart I am getting the "No audio output device installed" message. Ive tried all the solutions i can find on these and other forums to no gain - the drivers sometimes appear on device manager, and sometimes dont. When they do i get a "Code 10" Message.

Ive tried re-installing them from Recovery Manager and I get a message saying the media cannot be found. Tried other things like recovering windows back and entering BIOS but nothing seems to be doing the trick as yet. The drivers are the conexant HD audio but the most recent shown on HP website is Realtek (neither work).

Any ideas guys or is this likely to be a motherboard issue and new soundcard required?

Screenshot from Speccy for Specs if required:

Speccy.jpg

5 REPLIES 5
Tardis40
Retired
Retired
3,798 3,735 201 436
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Nickem,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. I understand you are having an issue with the audio muting. I will be glad to help you.

Please follow the steps from Resolving No Sound or Audio Problems (Windows Vista).

Here is a link to download Conexant High-Definition Audio Driver version 4.31.0.50 A if you need them.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue by marking this post as Accepted Solution. If you require further assistance let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help. If you wish to say "thanks" for my effort to help, click the "thumbs up" to give me Kudo.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
Nickem
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Tardis40

Ive followed the steps on the Resolving No Sound or Audio Problems (Windows Vista) And have completed the steps - all of which dont work. Ive put a new BIOS on and roll back windows but no joy!

Ive used the link to download the driver and when installing it says "error - cannot find the device for this driver" (or something similar). Ive managed to download a driver of some kind - Realtek High Definition Audio - but this wont  start and gives me a code 10 error.

Do you think this could be an error on the motherboard now rather than a software / driver issue? Or do you have any other ideas to hand.

Thank you for your help....its appreciated!!

0 Kudos
SDF15
Retired
Retired
5,851 5,326 351 631
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @Nickem,

Thank you for the quick reply!

@Tardis40, is currently out of the office, so I will be taking over for him.  Have you tried performing a System Recovery, to put the notebook back to its factory settings?  If you believe the issue to be hardware related, you can try testing the System Board, using the UEFI Component Tests.  You can use the document here to help you, if needed: 

HP Notebook PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 7, Vista)

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution", this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Have a great day!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
Nickem
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @SDF15

Thanks for your quick reply and apologies in the delay in replying to you.

Ive clicked on the link that you have sent and i get the following issues:

1) I press F2 on startup to enter BIOS however there is no option in there to check sound hardware etc, only memory (i think) and the harddrive.

2) Ive tried to update via the link listed and it appears the page is no longer available....although i have recently updated the BIOS i think anyway....

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
SDF15
Retired
Retired
5,851 5,326 351 631
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @Nickem,

Thank you for the information!

Try downloading the driver here, and let me know if you have any additional options in the BIOS: sp74845.exe

If not, then try performing a System Recovery, to put the notebook back to its factory settings.  I hope this helps.

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation