Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY - 17t-u100 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

A recent Conexant driver update has broken my HP Envy audio. I opened an HP case number, but HP hasn't responded, and I've have found no viable solution. When I plug in my headphone (+microphone), sound continues to output on the Bang and Olufsen speakers. The driver recognizes the headset has been plugged in, because the speakers mute momentarily when the headphone jack is connected/disconnected. I still get sound out of the headset ear piece, but I simply can't live with the speakers being enabled when I use the headphones.

The problem appears to have something to do with the microphone setting. I have the Conexant IST Audio Microphone as the default device, and the Microphone Array is disabled. If I disable the Microphone and enable the Mcrophone Array the speakers cut out, but the Microphone Array is constantly live while listening to iTunes.

HP, you need to provide a solution which no doubt involves getting a fix for the Conexant driver. Don't forget to stress test. Having said that, I'm certainly open to workarounds which don't involve uninstalling/reinstalling the audio driver which I've done several times over.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @CaptainSC,

A warm welcome to HP Community!

Most of the audio issues can be resolved by removing the audio driver package/software and then installing a compatible driver. Here is how to do it:

1.) In Windows, search for and open "Device Manager".

2.) Double-click "Sound, video and game controllers".

3.) Right-click the sound device and select "Uninstall". Make sure that you check the box 'Delete the driver software for this device'.

Once the old sound driver has been removed, download and install the audio driver available here

If issue persists, try adding the High Definition Audio Device driver and check if the speakers are muted when headphones is connected. You may use the following steps to add a High Definition Audio Device driver:

1.) In Device Manager, right-click (or press and hold) your audio driver.

2.) Then select Update driver > Browse my computer for driver software > Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer, select High Definition Audio Device, and select Next.

3.) Follow the instructions to install it.

Let me know how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!
Have a great day!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HP,

I installed the driver you pointed me at - sp95437.exe on my HP Envy Windows 10 machine. The driver seemed to work temporarily. With the headset plugged in, the sound was cutoff to the Bang and Olufsen speakers and output through the headphones only.

I later unplugged the headset. Not long after this, the laptop micrphone array became "live" and started picking up background noise which it output directly through the Bang and Olufsen speakers. This forced me to disable the microphone array in the control panel. So, this driver iteration has problems.

Thanks and regards

HP Recommended

@CaptainSC

Could you try adding the Microsoft High Definition Audio Device driver using the step's I suggested in my previous post and let me know the results.

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HP,

Sorry, I led you to believe an earlier driver was installed in my last post. I did uninstall the sp95437.exe Conexant driver version (latest I could find at the time), and reinstalled the sp95439.exe driver at the link you pointed me at. The poor behavior I explained in my  05-20-2019 12:39 PM post is associated with sp95439.exe installation.

HP Recommended

@CaptainSC

Would you be able to remove the existing audio driver and try the driver available here

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The latest driver doesn't work either. After a day or two, the laptop microphone goes live and echoes background noise out the laptop speakers. This occurs regardless of whether headphones are plugged into the side jack. The Conexant driver and Smart Audio doesn't seem so smart to me.

CaptainSC

HP Recommended

Hi @CaptainSC,

Thanks for writing back us.

As you still have issues after trying out the steps recommended. Please try the steps recommended below.

Press Windows Logo key + R to open a Run
Type devmgmt.msc into the Run dialog and press Enter to launch the Device Manager.
In the Device Manager, double click on the Sound, video and game controllers section to expand it.
Right-click on the Conexant audio device and click on Update Driver Software… in the context menu.
Click on Browse my computer for driver software.
Click on Browse….
Navigate to the folder in which the new driver package is located and click on the folder to select it.
Click on OK.
Click on Next, and then wait for the wizard to locate the new driver package and install it.
Once the new driver package for the affected computer’s Conexant audio device has been installed, restart it and, if all went well, sound will have been restored.

Disable Audio Enhancements

Right-click on the Speakers icon in the taskbar and open Playback devices
Open your default playback device, by double-clicking on it
Go to Enhancements tab and check Disable all enhancements
Click OK and restart your computer

Change the default sound format

Right-click on the Speakers icon in the taskbar and open Playback devices
Open your default playback device, by double-clicking on it
Go to Advanced tab
Change the bitrate under Default sound format, until you find the one that’s working
Click OK.

Let me know if this works!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.