Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
10-15-2019 04:36 PM
Cortana (and other apps) can't hear me unless I plug in an external microphone. All the diagnostic tests show the internal microphone to be working properly and it seems to be responding to sounds.
10-17-2019 06:46 PM
@kenbrown66 Welcome to HP Community!
There are seven steps/methods to resolve the issue with cortana's ear/microphone error:
Method 1: Set up a Microphone
Method 2: Check for Windows Updates
Method 3: Manually set your Microphone’s volume levels
Method 4: Disable All Enhancements
Method 5: Make sure Country or Region, Language, and Speech Language settings are aligned
Method 6: Uncheck Proxy Option
Method 7: Update your Microphone drivers
If you need details on each step, or any particular step, please let me know and I'll be happy to help!
Let me know how that pans out,
If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,
That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,
Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.
I am an HP Employee
01-01-2020 03:51 PM
I have a Notebook-15-dw0091nr. When I started it the first time, Cortana couldn't hear me. I went through all the troubleshooting screens to no avail. I'm told the audio is ok. Tried an external mic and it works fine. It's the internal mic that doesn't work. I'm thinking it's a driver problem but window10 is not providing an updated one.
01-04-2020 09:31 AM
@WisconsinAndi Welcome to HP Community!
Please try these steps:
- Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand sound video and game controllers>then select the sound drivers and right-click on it and uninstall the audio drivers. Then check the box delete the software for this device.
- Then restart the computer and update the bios, chipset and audio drivers from this link: http://hp.care/2syreDe and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Then check if the situation has been corrected.
- If it persists and if you have performed all the recommended steps from this link: http://hp.care/2DAMeN1 and the situation still persists, then try these steps:
- Please backup your important data and perform a Microsoft push-button reset on the computer from this link: http://hp.care/2toQrBj
- (HP PCs - Microsoft Push-Button Reset (Windows 10) and if the issue gets fixed.
Keep us posted,
If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you,
Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post,
Have a great day!
Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask the community