Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP envy - 13-ad013na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, my laptop started making a weird static noise on the right hand side yesterday, in the area of the speakers. The computer is almost 1 year old. 

I've looked up other posts online but there is contradictory information and I'm not sure which steps to follow. I've also used the Virtual Assistant but it provides me with broken links.

The cracking noise appears and disappears but it's now lasting for quite long and seems more intense if the power cord is plugged. It's usually gone when I turn my speakers off but still seems to come back every now and then. However, it doesn't disappear when I plug earphones (and it's not heard via the earphones).

What should I do? Going on a trip tomorrow and really need the laptop to be working so don't want to do anything that will affect the rest of the functioning of the computer. 

Many thanks

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@silfrado Welcome to HP Forums Community! I hope I'm not too late...

Do these noises appear on a headphone as well?

Have you updated the BIOS to resolve the issue?

While you respond to that,

I have a few recommendations: 

• Updating your Notebook computer BIOS 

• Keeping notebook air vents clear and clean 

• Increasing the efficiency of the notebook to reduce heat 

• Using Windows Task Manager to identify corrupt processes 

• Selecting power saves settings to shut off your computer when it is not in use 

For more details: Click here 

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for your response. 

The noises don't appear on the headphone. 

I haven't updated the BIOS but I'm up-to-date with all my updates in the HP Support Assistant. How could I update it through other means?

In any case, it doesn't seem to be a fan issue or related to overheating as it rather occurs on the speakers and in my model the fan is on the back of the computer in the middle of it. However, I can try out the things recommended and I'm happy to update the BIOS if it has no consequences for the laptop functioning as I'm still travelling. 

HP Recommended

@silfrado If the BIOS update is successful, there shouldn't be any issues as such, and you may update it from the HP website (if there's the latest version available) you may click here to find and install the same.

Although I went through the website and there aren't any BIOS updates available for this model, it looks like you may need to get the device repaired for a possible hardware malfunction and I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options:

follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on "Continue as guest".

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.