Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 9 (232 Views)

Envy 15 needs hard reset to play audio

[ Edited ]
Product Name: Envy 15

I have a really annoying issue with my HP Envy 15, model  15-j040eo. The audio randomly turns off until I do a hard reset. After a hard reset it works for anything between an hour up to a few days. When it goes quiet it has to get another hard reset to get the audio working. This happened first time about 6 months ago. If the audio stops working while playing sounds there will be a clicking sound like when a cable to a speaker is unplugged. The laptop has Beats audio.

Some information about things I tried/discovered that did not do any difference:

- Removed all drivers for the sound and reinstalled

- Installation of old drivers

- Plugged in head set and there is no sound in the head set. 

- No issue with is indicated when checking the drivers

- The sound bars in the Playback Devices moves but there is no sound

- I checked the history of updates and the driver has not been updated when the sound stops

I would be super happy if someone could help me out here.

Thanks

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 9 (196 Views)

Re: Envy 15 needs hard reset to play audio

Hi @KPMS

Thanks for the post, I understand that the audio from the computer stops after a brief use, from the speaker as well as headphones. Kudos to you for performing all the troubleshooting. I would like to help.

I see you that have exhausted most of the troubleshooting. I could suggest a few steps.

Recommend you to run HP Support Assistant.

Select the computer and then select Diagnostics and Tools.

Select Sound issues troubleshooting and follow the on-screen options to check if it can fix the issue.

The issue you are facing looks like a software issue.

Since you have already installed the latest driver after uninstalling the older driver, you could try to reset the PC. (Make sure you backup your data before you do so.)

Let me know if this helped.

Please click ‘Accepted Solution’ on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the ‘Thumbs Up’ Icon below.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

Top Student
Message 3 of 9 (192 Views)

Hi Chimney,

I forgot that one. I have run the support assistant but it does not help. It can't find any issues with the system.

By reset I assume that you mean a clean Windows installation? Will try that when I have the time and patience.
HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 9 (187 Views)

Thanks for the reply, 

If the HP Support Assistant troubleshooting also did not help. You could try to the troubleshooter available in control panel. 

Before the recovery, you could try a reset by retaining your files. It would only reset all the software settings. (If the reset fails for some reason, you would loose your files (Please backup your data before you try this.))

You could also try reset without the backup of data, it would reset the settings and remove data, but it is not a re-installation of operating system. 

Recovery is the reinstallation of the operating system. 

I have included the links below, which you help understand the difference between reset, recovery and how to use them.

Push button reset article http://hp.care/2fFlVu6

Difference between reset and recovery http://hp.care/2fFuo0t

How to perform recovery http://hp.care/2fFulSl

Hope this helps. 

Please click ‘Accepted Solution’ on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the ‘Thumbs Up’ Icon below.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

Top Student
Message 5 of 9 (185 Views)

I tried the windows trouble shooter as well. It says everything is fine. I will try the reset later on.
HP Support Agent
Message 6 of 9 (184 Views)

Thanks for the quick reply, 

Please do try it in your free time, as I suggested earlier, please make sure to take a backup of your data before you reset or perform recovery on the computer. 

Feel free to reply for further assistance. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

Top Student
Message 7 of 9 (131 Views)

I made a push button reset. When computer restarted there was no sound at all and the speaker in the lower right has a red dot with a white cross. When clicking on the icon the trouble shooter starts and it says it can't find the issue.

As the reset deletes all software I lost all the HP Drivers for the computer. When looking for drivers on the HP Support page there are no drivers for Windows 10. The fn keys do not work anymore and the computer is painfully slow.

Top Student
Message 8 of 9 (121 Views)

I installed the Windows 8,1 software to get things working. I installed the audio driver. The red dot with white cross disappeared but no audio. Restarted the computer but no audio. I shut down the computer, removed battery, put battery back and restarted computer. Audio is back! Happiness lasted for about 5 minutes and the audio is gone again. The button reset did not do any good at all. Audio comes back if battery is removed and computer restarted. It lasts about 5 minutes.

HP Support Agent
Message 9 of 9 (113 Views)

Hi @KPMS,

Thanks for replying. I understand you have tried all the steps suggested and still having the same issue. Let me go ahead and assist you with this.

This seems to be an intermittent issue, which could be due to some loose connection. So, I would suggest you contact our HP phone support for available service options.

What you can do, is use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process: 

Step 1. Open link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect 
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options" 
Step 4. Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get phone number 
Case number and phone number appear. 

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation