Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 6 (163 Views)

Envy 17 (2016) sound crackling

Product Name: HP ENVY – 17-n103nc
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

There is this problem with sound crackling that is happening while playing any sound. It's coming from inside the notebook even when the headphones or external speakers are used or the music is muted.

Once I close all the music in computer, the crackling suddenly stops. It's been happening for about a month and the intensity has been increasing. I am pretty sure from all the above that this is a software problem.

I have noticed on forums some problems about the Bang and Olufsen drivers, but it might be something different.

I have already tried following:

1. update every drivers possible including bios

2. reinstall and update different version of sound drivers (when I tried the newest one from Realtek website, the sound didn't work at all)

3. tried every other toubleshooting that I've found on this website, including:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-15-Notebook-PC-series/8543365/model/8903631/document/c0497314...

Thank you very much for help. I use this notebook for business and can't afford to send it for service.

Richard

HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 6 (129 Views)

Re: Envy 17 (2016) sound crackling

@richard90

Welcome to HP Support Forums. Smiley Happy Thanks for Posting you query about your HP ENVY Notebook - 17-n103nc.

I understand that there is a crackling noise while playing music. This happens even when the headphones or external speakers are used or the music is muted. I further read that you have performed almost all the possible troubleshooting steps which include reinstalling the updated drivers, BIOS update and have tried the steps from this link

Fabulous analysis. Spectacular diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that.

I reviewed the steps and would like to know the result of the "Step 8: Run the Audio test from the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI)." Because if the crackling noise appeared during that test then it is purely a hardware issue and notebook needs to be sent in for a service. 

Please feel free to reply. Cheers! Smiley Happy

MKazi
I am an HP Employee

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

Top Student
Message 3 of 6 (123 Views)

Thank you for the answer MKazi,

I didn't hear the crackling during the audio test althrough there was in the beggining of the test some noice similar to "no signal" noice from tv. I don't know if that is a part of the test.

HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 6 (117 Views)

@richard90

You're welcome and thanks for attempting the suggested steps. Smiley Happy

If the crackling noise appeared during the initial phase of the test then I suggest you to re-run the test and check if this repeats. 

If the noise repeats then it indicates towards a hardware failure and I recommend you to reach out to HP phone support to explore the hardware service options. 

Please keep me posted for any further questions. All the best! Smiley Happy

MKazi
I am an HP Employee

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

Top Student
Message 5 of 6 (112 Views)

Ok, so there is actually no noise or crackling during the test but everytime I turn on the notebook, there is immediately quick 1 second noice sound. Afterwards it's silent until I play some sound. Then the crackling starts.

Can you confirm it's software or hardware problem?

Thank you, Richard.

Highlighted
HP Support Agent
Message 6 of 6 (109 Views)

@richard90

You're most welcome. 

During the test, if there is no such crackling noise then it is not a hardware failure. 

You can try to perform a BIOS update. But if the crackling noise persists then you need to reach out to HP phone support to explore the service options for your HP laptop. Because there could be something happening internally which we may not be able to identify after troubleshooting. 

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions. Good luck! Smiley Happy

MKazi
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation