Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 13-w012tu
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I bought an HP Spectre X360 last year and recently purchase a Logitech h110 stereo headset to use with it, primarily for dictating. The headset has two 3.5 mm plugs, and while I can hear audio when I plug the speaker plug into the HP's combo jack, when I plug the mic plug in it won't detect the microphone.  When I open 'Recording devices', the window looks like this:

Sound window.PNG

I have tried enabling Stereo mix without success. I have also looked at other threads as I can see others have had this problem with HPs as well, without finding an answer that works for me.

Is there a fix for this problem? Would using a USB microphone help instead? Would appreciate any help as dictation is a key part of my work. Thanks for your help!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Dictate18

Welcome to HP Forums,

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

As I understand, an external microphone is not working,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

When was the last time it worked fine?

Were there any hardware/software changes made? 

Have you tried using another external microphone? 

If not, I suggest you try another external microphone.

Let's try these steps to resolve the issue: 

Updating the audio driver

Updating the audio driver can resolve many microphone issues. Use the following steps to check for and install audio driver updates:

1. Connect to the Internet.

2. In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.

3. Double-click Sound, video and game controllers.

4. Right-click the name of the sound hardware and select Update Driver Software.

Figure: Update Driver Software option in Device Manager

Update Driver Software option in Device Manager
  5. Click Search automatically for updated driver software and wait for Windows to update the driver software.

Figure: Updated Driver Software: Search automatically for updated driver software

Updated Driver Software: Search automatically for updated driver software
  6. Windows checks to see if updated driver software is available.

If an update is available, let Windows install the update.

7. When the update is installed successfully, a Windows has finished installing the driver software for this device window displays.

Test the microphone.

8. If updating the driver did not resolve the issue, continue to the next section.

Using the Troubleshooting tool

The troubleshooting tool can fix common problems with audio recording. Follow these steps to use the Troubleshooting tool:

1. In Windows, search for and open Troubleshooting.

2. Under Hardware and Sound, click Troubleshoot audio recording, then click Next when the Recording Audio window opens.

Figure: Troubleshoot audio recording

Troubleshoot audio recording
  3. Click Next in the Recording Audio window.

4. Select the device you would like to troubleshoot, click Next, then follow the on-screen instructions.

Figure: Select device to troubleshoot

Select device to troubleshoot
  5. If a recommended action displays, select Apply this fix or Skip this step to continue to search for other problems.

If your problem has not been resolved, continue to the next section of this document.

Click Here for more troubleshooting steps: https://hp.care/2Jkqp7G.

Checking the sound settings

Raising the microphone volume level

Resolving microphone issues by disabling enhancements

Changing the format of the microphone

Testing a microphone using Voice Recorder (Windows 10)

Testing a microphone using Windows Sound Recorder (Windows 😎

Here is another link for troubleshooting: https://hp.care/2JlruMh.

Let me know how this goes,

Have a great day 🙂

Cheers!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.