Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ProBook 640 G3 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi All,

For some time now, I have had issues with the Conexant ISST Audio driver. From time to time Windows 10/pro freezes for a short time, during this time I can see that flow.exe (C:\Program Files\CONEXANT\Flow) is using about 20% of the CPU. It should be noted that after a few minutes the CPU usage of flow.exe goes back to normal.

When no sounds are being played thought the Conexant sound card everything works fine.

Application that are being used during the audio the freeze are: foobar for some background music, skype for business and pidgin. Then opening new tabs in firefox (57) causes these freezes.

HW: ProBook 640 G3 i5-7200 16GB RAM.
All firmware and drivers are up to date.
Conexant ISST Audio: Driver date 2017-09-04 Driver version 9.0.164.0

I have tried the following:

Remove driver from add/remove programs. Windows found it again.
Remove driver from device manager, again Windows re-installed again.

What has help a little was to disable all sound processing via the volume mixer (Enhancement tab – System Effects Configuration)

Regards

Nikolay

flow-exe.jpg

47 REPLIES 47
HP Recommended

Hi All!

Hi Nikolay!

It seams to be similar here:

HP Elitedesk 800 G3 TWR

Flow.exe >20% CPU-Usage  -  1.4 GB memory usage

Conexant HD Audio (Driver date 2017-09-28  -  Driver version 10.0.16299.15)

Windows freezing 3 - 5 times a day for 1 - 3 Minutes

I tried

audio driver update - no improvement

graphics driver update - no improvement

I know, this is the  notebook forum, but the error is too similar to my problem, so I couldn't be silent ...

In my case, disabling the sounds is not a long time soloution.

Any other hints since december posting?

THX in advance!

Regards - philinx

HP Recommended

Oh, I forget:

Freeze, if I use Firefox!

Firefox!? Mhm, I will have a look at the firefox forum ...

HP Recommended

No fix and still no response from HP.

Personally I am now sending all my audio via Bluetooth to a BT speaker. This works just fine.

A colleague of mine said to downgrade the audio driver - have not tried that.

HP Recommended

After a HP support call with wrong infomation, I tryed to disable automatic driver update in

Control Panel | System and Security | System | Hardware | device installation settings

choose "No"

Sorry - only in germanSorry - only in german

But (!), this allone didn't work!

I have to change one and add another regestry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DriverSearching

SearchOrderConfig = 0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DriverSearching

SearchOrderConfig = 0

Windows 10 now using a default audio driver witch is working fine for me, there are no more freezed windows and without the flow.exe process the system saves 1.4 GB memory!

Maybe you can use this informations ... have a nice weekend!

HP Recommended

Philinx, thanks!  I had same trouble and resolved it by removing conexant driver and installing standard microsoft driver. It's unbelievable that conexant drivers are such as bloatware (consumes much RAM and CPU)!

HP Recommended

@Chocholouswrote:

Philinx, thanks!  I had same trouble and resolved it by removing conexant driver and installing standard microsoft driver. It's unbelievable that conexant drivers are such as bloatware (consumes much RAM and CPU)!

Hi, how do you do that? Thanks.

HP Recommended

You can remove (uninstall) it altogether:

Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Device Manager

Select (expand)  Sound

Right click on CONEXANT (or Flow) ... I can't remember cause I unstalled

Click on Uninstall

I had another audio driver so I still have sound.

You may need to install the Windows sound driver here.

-RODONNELL

HP Recommended

uninstall flow

"C:\Program Files\Conexant\Flow\Setup64.exe" -U -IFlowSetup -SRM=Flow.exe,UtilStatus,4

HP Recommended

Hi, I tried to uninstall. But it's automaticaly reinstalled... No solution in view, HP support does not know what to do, this is a nightmare... for a professional computer, a shame.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.