Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestion. In fact was an update what made the audio not work. I hope the next update will fix it. So far, the issue remains unresolved.

Any help highly appreciated

HP Recommended

I was recomended to use HP Image Assistant by HP Norway representatives Abrahamsen and Voie to help my organisation keep their 5000 computers up to date with drivers on our SCCM Images.

Lucky for me, I tried it first on my own work computer HP Elitebook 1040 G4 with the HP Thunderbolt Dock G2 120W with Audio Module. Skjermbilde.PNG

As you can see the Audio Top DSP version is all messed up now and I cant Force install it again to over write the corrupt version. Soo I suggest HP hurry up with the fix on this module.

HP Recommended

Here is my solution !

I was facing the exact sam problem due to an incorrect firmware update.

This thread decided me to contact HP support to help the community.

For sure HP did'nt help me so much but send me a diag tool to send a report of my computer to an HP engineer.

This tool shows me some drivers to be updated that HP Softpaq Download Manager didnt show me.

After installing those drivers I forced Thunderbold Dock G2 package installation and Audio Top DSP was successfully updated to 1.0.0.168 instead of the incorrect 65535.65535.65535.65535.

Here is the procedure :

Run the ImageDiags tool     ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/idr/ImageDiags2/ImageDiags2.exe

1st screen (License) : tick "I Agree" then Next

2nd screen (System Info) : tick "Select advanced analysis options" then Next

3rd screen (Analysis Options) : tick "Thunderbold 3 dock firmware" then Next

ImageDiag.PNG

Wait for Progress on the 4th screen then Next

An "Image Diagnostics Tool - Results Report" will open in a browser's window.

Drop down to "Drivers and Softpaqs"

Download and install (without reboot) every softpaq related to the Dock and subcomponents (Audio, Ethernet, Thunderbold..) except SP92933 (HP Thunderbolt Dock G2 Firmware Installer) you will intall after reboot.
Reboot the computer to finish drivers installation.

Diconnect everything on the dock except at least 1 Display Port screen (sometimes DisplayPort Hub firware is not detected)

Unplug then re-plug AC Power on the dock (I had failling firmware upgrade solved doing this)

Run SP92933, tick "Force All" then click "Install"

Wait for the multiple firmware updates to perform (and the dock resets that occurs almost every steps) and your done !

FW OK.PNG

HP Recommended

Hi XBaSToSx,

That's great news.

I've attempted to follow your process, but unfortunately I have a problem.  ImageDiags2 will only run on an HP laptop, and I don't have one to hand.  I can't seem to find a switch to disable the check.

Are you able to list the drivers/packs it said that needed to be upgraded for your machine, so I can download them manually?

Glenn

HP Recommended

In my opinion , sp91938 (Realtek USB Audio Driver for HP Thunderbolt Dock G2 6.3.9600.182) and SP92028 (Intel Thunderbolt 3 Secure Connect for 2018) should do the trick.

I also installed SP91416 prior to upgrade firmware but it's only Realtek USB Ethernet Controller, I'm not sure it's important.

Be sure to have the latest Intel Thunderbold Bus Driver for Windows 10 : https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27719/eng/Thunderbolt_Win10_64_17.3.72.250.zip

And remember Dock G2 Firmware notice (https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp92501-93000/sp92933.html)

Driver-pre-requisites:

- Intel Graphics driver version 15.46.4877 must be installed on the system
before this package is run.
- Realtek Audio driver version 6.3.9600.182 must be installed on system to
provide compatibility for the Audio Base, (Optional) Audio Top DSP, and
(Optional) Audio Top Module firmware included in this package.
- For Windows 7 systems, Intel Thunderbolt Secure Connect Driver version
16.3.71.300 is required for HP Thunderbolt Dock G2 compatibility.
- For Windows 10 systems, update the Intel Thunderbolt Secure Connect Driver to
the latest version from HP.com for HP Thunderbolt Dock G2 compatibility.

HP Recommended

Hi @XBaSToSx,

Ok - thanks for posting this.  Unfortunately still no luck for me - I think the main issue is that this firmware update seems very specific to having an HP Thunderbolt laptop, but that the firmware update makes no check for that.

I don't have an HP Thunderbolt machine - instead I've got a Microsoft Surface Book 2 (non-Thunderbolt) and two Apple Macbooks (Thunderbolt).  The reason I got this dock was it was one of the first docks that would use Thunderbolt if available and fall back to USB-C if not on a particular laptop (e.g. the Surface Book).

All 3 machines, when running Windows 10, can conduct the firmware upgrade.  However, all 3 fail when updating the DSP firmware - even when all the SP's are applied that you have have applied.  The Thunderbolt Macs actually seem to go a little backward after applying SP92028 - the firmware updater won't update the Thunderbolt controller in the dock after this is applied, and the Thunderbolt device inspector that gets installed with this pack does not discover any Thunderbolt devices (although all is working fine under MacOS).

At this point, I think I'm resigned to waiting for a new firmware update for the G2 dock that is more robust on non-HP laptops. It just would be nice to know that the team that looks after this dock is actually aware of this issue.  I'm not confident they're reading these pages, and the support team on the phone in Australia was useless when trying to get this fixed.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately this is exactly the same for me. I tried all the steps here. Even removed the audio module and replaced it power cycling the hub each time. I've a Folio EliteBook G1 and have updated to the latest drivers, BIOS etc.

I'm now in the situation that the dock is worse than before the "update" - is there ANY way to get this working as I use it every day even if it means flashing the old FW back on until HP make a proper job of their software?

Overall I am quite disappointed with the whole experience, the laptop has been quite buggy since I got it and now they've managed to mess up my expensive dock also. It's not what I expect from HP and really expect a fix as soon as possible.

HP Recommended

So I tried again - and failed.

Specifically trying to match the exact driver versions in the readme. The graphics driver

Intel Graphics driver version 15.46.4877

Is actually not available for download and the version close enough to this actually will not install as it's not compatible with my laptop.

This is a crazy situation - if it basically bricks the audio of the dock (the main reason I bought it) then the installer should NOT run on those laptops.

No update from HP, I am expecting either a fix or a replacement now as I'm more than unhappy.

What a shame that a company as res[ected as HP has let us all down.:HalfEyes: 

HP Recommended

I have searched all over for a solution, and tried every suggestion.

I ended up with a service case to HP asking for a replacement for the Audio Top Module.

The bad news, HP have delivery issues for service this product incl the docking.

Soo the people on the service desk told me we had to wait up to 2 months for the replacements.

We just droped Microsoft Surface due to Microsoft's bad service on the products, and replaced it with HP x360 1030 with the HP Thunderbolt Dock G2.  Lets hope HP fix this quickly!

HP Recommended

I had 2 of these with this problem. I say had, because I just received the first replacement audio module today, and one of them is fixed. I troubleshot, and did everything else. This is an audio top problem. New audio top = No more problem. Make sure to call it in, and go under laptops, and under Zbooks. That is apparently where they place this docking station in the phone call tech support.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.