Top Student
7 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

Getting a Beep Sound Once

HP Pavilion 15 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi,

I am getting a beep sound from the notebook once or twice during the day. I have carried out all the hardware extensive tests and all these tests have passed. Is there any way to find out the cause of this beep? I don't have any operational issue with the notebook. Its BIOS is already updated. The beep comes without any visual notification. Kindly help advise.

Regards

Manoj

8 REPLIES
Retired
Retired
14461 711 1895
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post

Hi @Manoj24,

Thank you for your inquiry. I am happy to assist you. 

I understand that while typing you will occasionally hear a beep. Here is a link to HP Notebook PCs - Notebook Keyboard Troubleshooting (Windows 10, 8). Please review the section on "computer beeps while typing" and let me know it that was it or not. What is the product or model number of the notebook? HP Notebook PCs - How Do I Find My Model Number, Serial Number or Product Number?

Please click the “Thumbs Up” below to thank me for my efforts! If one of my posts help you to resolve the issue you are experiencing, please click the "Accept as Solution" so that others who may be having the same difficulty can find the answer more efficiently. Thanks for taking part in the HP Forums!

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
Manoj24 Top Student
Top Student
7 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post

Hello Sparkles1,

The beep sound (it sounds once as a bell ring in a church or temple) comes even when I am not typing. It comes quite randomly but it happens quite occasionally...just once a day or may not happen at all. But I have seen that the beep sound comes once in 3 days or so.

Kindly help advise.

Best Regards

Manoj

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
14461 711 1895
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post

Hi@Manoj24,

Thank you for your reply. 

Do you have sound turned on for notifications, could that be what you are hearing?

• Open the charms and click on settings
  • select control panel
  • select hardware and sound
  • click on change system sounds
  • You can test different sounds here to match what you are hearing
  • If you  have sound selected and you do not want the audio notifications, choose no sound.

Please let me  know if this was the case.

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
Manoj24 Top Student
Top Student
7 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post

Hi Sparkles1,

As per your kind advice, I patiently checked each of the sound with the sound that comes from the laptop. But none of the sounds match with the sound that comes.

Kindly help advise me the next step(s).

Best Regards

Manoj

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
14461 711 1895
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post

Hi @Manoj24,

Thank you for your reply.  Here is a link to HP Notebook PCs - Notebook Keyboard Troubleshooting (Windows 10, 8). Please review the section on "Computer beeps while typing" If the issue remains, when it occurs again, please check the event log and see what just happened.  To view the event log please try these steps.

• Open charms
  • select settings
  • type event log
  • click view event logs  on the left to open the Window.
  • You can now examine the system application logs as well as hardware events.

Windows 8 Event Viewer(from computerperformance.co)Should you be confused, here is a link to guide you to clearing the log to start fresh. How to Clear the Event Log in Windows 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 (from windowsreport.com). The above two links will take you  to a site outside of HP. Any ads or additional software on the page(s) are not endorsed by HP and you would use at your own risk.

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
Manoj24 Top Student
Top Student
7 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post

Hello Sparkles1

Thanks for your kind response. I tried the steps given by you in your mail. But I was not able to trace the root cause of the beep sound notification.

Is there any way to create a custom event to record the cause of the beep sound or any sound produced by the laptop? I mean  once this is done then such a sound log can be monitored every 2-4 days.

Is there any way to listen all sounds that a laptop can produce during any malfunction or bad operation or error?

There seems to be no degradation in laptop performance despite the occasional beep sound.

Best Regards

Manoj

0 Kudos
Manoj24 Top Student
Top Student
7 0 0
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post

Hello Sparkles1,

Luckily I have recorded the time of 18:13 PM 22-Oct-2016 when the beep sound came. Kindly help me how to track the cause of the beep sound that came at this time. I checked the Event Viewer and checked the Windows (Application) and Windows (System) Logs, got the information below ( no error seems to be reported at 18:13 PM or may be the logs will be saved sometime later):

Error Sat, 22-Oct, 2016 16:48:39 DistributedCOM 10010 None
Error Sat, 22-Oct, 2016 16:49:00 Service Control Manager 7023 None
Error Sat, 22-Oct, 2016 16:51:00 DistributedCOM 10010 None
Error Sat, 22-Oct, 2016 16:51:00 Service Control Manager 7023 None
Error Sat, 22-Oct, 2016 16:53:00 DistributedCOM 10010 None
Error Sat, 22-Oct, 2016 16:53:00 Service Control Manager 7023 None
Error Sat, 22-Oct, 2016 16:55:00 DistributedCOM 10010 None

Error Sat, 22-Oct, 2016 17:02:47 RasClient 20227 None

I would be really grateful to you for your kind help in this regard.  

Best Regards

Manoj

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
14461 711 1895
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post

Hi @Manoj24,

Thank you for the update and the error report. Here are articles I located on the errors in the log:  

Event ID 7023 — Service Stop Operations (from technet.microsoft.com) 

Event ID 10010

They both refer to an attempt to starting a service and it times out.

I suggest contacting MIcrosoft support for further guidance.

Microsoft Corporation / Customer Service

1-800-642+7676

Microsoft Support Contact Us

Please let me know the results.

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation