Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 13
Flag Post

HDMI Audio doesn't work on Windows 10 Tech Preview

HP Recommended

I am using a HP ENVY TouchSmart 15-j053cl Notebook PC and often plug it directly into my television for streaming video. However, after updating to windows 10 tech preview the HDMI output for audio no longer appears in playback devices, though video is fine. Upon further inspection I found that the device is not starting via device manager, i.e

"This device cannot start. (Code 10)

{Operation Failed}
The requested operation was unsuccessful."

I attempted to reinstall the driver from the support site for windows 8.1, but that had no effect. The driver I installed

IDT High-Definition (HD) Audio Driver 2013-09-30 , Version6.10.6491.0, 43.95M

Are there any drivers out yet that can bridge the gap from 8.1 to 10?

Any help would be great,
Coletrain
Tags (2)
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
10,015 6,596 119 422
Message 2 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Coletrain 

Thank you for using HP support forum. I have sent you a private message. If you’re unsure how to check your private messages please click here.
Thank you,
Omar

I Work for HP
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
15 8 0 0
Message 3 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Pavilon HP E -570f  BV542AA#ABC

No HDMI sound with Win10 installed

Same as above.........plugging and unplugging does not fix either

Peter

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 4 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I actually got mine working with the latest intel drivers. Just download the intel driver update utility, run it, and install the latest drivers. It looks like they now have native support for Windows 10.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Coletrain - thanks.  Could you point me to the Intel driver location?  I don't presume you mean the HP driver assistant package, correct?  I just installed Win10 this week and HDMI audio is gone.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Fix - 

Right click the speaker 

Select Playback devices

Right click your device and go to properties -----> Advanced ----> 16bit 44000 sound (CD quality) .

Mic drop! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 7 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I found some of the settings I had for my AVR in Windows 7 did not work in Windows 10. The following worked for me:

Control panel > Hardware & Sound > Manage Audio Devices > Playback

With your AVR connected, select (left clickk) the item assigned to your AVR and click 'configure'

Set it to match your AVR (eg. 5.1) or try other settings available. Some did not work for my AVR on W 10

regards, kwick1

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 8 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

After installing Windows 10, the audio on my HDMI port no longer works. It plays on the computer, but not on the TV. I have tried three different movie players: RealPlayer, VLC media player and Windows "movies and TV". None of them played the audio to the TV. 

When I went into the control panel, I found a screen that let me test audio output on HDMI. That worked!

Any idea what is going on?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
4 4 0 2
Message 9 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey guys I just solved this problem after three days of troubleshooting. You can thank me by sending me the money you would have spent with HP.com, lol. I accept Paypal.

Quick Background: I was on windows 10 tech preview and decided to do a clean install of Windows 10 only to find that my HP Envy 15 touchsmart wasn't correctly connecting to my TV as the HDMI out wasn't appearing on the playback devices, device manager, etc. Video would come through but audio wouldn't. Anyhow here is my ingenious solution:

Solution: Go to HP.com support - drivers. Detect your computer and manually enter that you are running windows 8.

Scroll down to Driver-Graphics and find and download the:

Intel High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver  9.18.10.3071 149.0 MB Aug 7, 2015

It will ask you if you want to overwrite your current drivers which are newer, hit yes. Don't worry about the other boxes and stuff just proceed. At the end of my install my TV began to install as a device and I alredy knew that my problem was fixed before even trying out the sound. Upon restart a short window tests out your graphics but everything is perfect.

I can't believe how lazy HP is for not providing a fix for this or that they would charge us for support on something that they should have provided for free. You're welcome.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 10 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've already posted a complaint about the the problem with the HDMI on notebooks running windows 10 operating system. I purchased mine two days ago from Argos it is a notebook 15.6 catelogue number 553/8924 cost £ 384-98. We can't   blame the staff at Argos they are not technically trained. I asked if the HDMI would be compatible with my HDMI cable and they replied yes. Hewlett Packard should issue a re-call on this machine and any other running windows 10. Someone at HP should of checked that it worked with existing and new cables but obviously they dropped the ball. Personally I expect a full refund from Hewlett Packard plus any expenses incurred by me in returning the notebook to them. I will be informing Trading Standards and warning Argos not to sell anymore of this product but return them to Hewlett Packard.       

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation