jetstream13
1 0 0 1
Message 1 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP ENVY Notebook 17 Making Popping Noise While Plugged In

HP ENVY Notebook - 17-n178ca (
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My 1.5 year old laptop produces a popping noise from the internal speakers when plugged in to the A/C cord, particularly when playing games. This has been happening for 3-4 months, getting progressively worse. Various fixes for similar problems I found online have not helped. Updating Windows and updating the audio drivers helped for a few hours, but only worked once each. Changing to a different audio driver (I can't remember which) just made the problem worse.

Nothing I've tried aside form unplugging the computer stops the popping. Headphones and external speakers work perfectly, but the internal speakers continue popping. Even on mute, the popping doesn't stop.  It has reached the point where my games are nearly unplayable while the laptop is plugged in.

Is there any likelyhood of fixing this problem? My warranty expired in December, despite the fact that I thought I had double warranty. 

17 REPLIES 17
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
20,815 20,769 1,737 2,813
Message 2 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@jetstream13

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. 

As I understand the HP ENVY Notebook 17 is making a Popping Noise While Plugged In,

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

Does the sound appear when you have an earphone connected to the PC?

Or when the computer is in an idle state as well?

If it does not, Please create a new user account (with administrative rights) and check if it works without these issues,

If it does, I recommend you Contact HP as this could be a hardware malfunction:

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. 

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge (If you have an extended warranty, notify them about the same and they should help)

Keep me posted for further assistance 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
jetstream1313
4 4 0 0
Message 3 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello 🙂

New account, because my old one ceased to work for whatever reason. I'm the same person who posted the question.

Earphones work fine. The popping continues while I use them, but the popping comes from the computer's internal speakers, not the earphones.

The computer very rarely pops while I'm not doing anything with it. It will pop on occasion during normal use, but the popping becomes problematic during a Skype call or while playing games.

Creating a new administrator account didn't work. There was no popping at first, but then I opened World of Warcraft, and the popping continued.

Thank you for your help, I'll be sure to call HP support as soon as I get a chance.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
9,855 9,844 922 1,503
Message 4 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, @jetstream1313

I see that you were interacting with @Riddle_Decipher. I would like to jump in with a suggestion 🙂

I see that you are having trouble with the internal speakers of your HP Envy notebook. Did you try using the Windows default drivers? If not try the steps listed below and check:

• Go to device manager (You can give a right click on Windows logo on bottom left corner of your screen and select device manager from the list)
  • Now maximize the “Sound, video and game controllers” from the list. You will see the audio driver. Right-click on “Realtek high definition audio CODEC” and select “Update driver software”.
  • Select “Browse my computer for driver software” – Select “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”.
  • Select “High Definition Audio Device” (Not Realtek High Def...  This is important) and click Next. You will get a warning message but reply “Yes”.
  • Once windows have successfully updated the driver software, try playing the games again and check.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
jetstream1313
4 4 0 0
Message 5 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This made the problem worse, not better. In addition to popping, this caused a nails-on-blackboard scratching sound to occur every second pop.

Of note, however, the driver was not named “Realtek high definition audio CODEC”, it was simply named “Realtek high definition audio".

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
20,815 20,769 1,737 2,813
Message 6 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@jetstream1313

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

I'm the Riddle_Decipher,

And I'm back at your service, that said, I appreciate you've gone through the steps suggested by the last tech and considering the fact that, the noise doesn't appear on your earphones but do, on the speakers, it confirms that the sound card isn't the issue and that Contacting HP would be the right choice as it's a hardware malfunction:

Here's the link to my original post with the HP Contact information: Click here

Let me know how that pans out

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask any other queries as  well,

Considering, this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
HubFlyer
3 3 0 0
Message 7 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same issue described here.  Changing drivers didn't fix it, just made it worse.

Can you share the solution?

Thanks and regards,

0 Kudos
jetstream1313
4 4 0 0
Message 8 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

There never was a solution. Eventually, the popping progressed to a rather unsettling buzzing, sqealing noise whenever plugged in, and a sound like tires on a gravel road on startup.

0 Kudos
HubFlyer
3 3 0 0
Message 9 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Oh, same here.

Then I guess you didn't go through the steps to contact Support suggested by  Riddle_Decipher  (neither did I as my laptop is out of warranty).

0 Kudos
jetstream1313
4 4 0 0
Message 10 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No, I didn't, I'm going to give it a try when I move back to North America soon.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation