Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY TouchSmart 15-j105sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

My  laptophs been working perfectly for years until recently.

The audio (speakers and headphone jack) have begun to malfunction.

Upon loading into Windows 10, they will play perfectly fine with full audio coming out of the beats speakers, however after around 30 seconds there will be a sudden stop to the audio.

Windows still thinks that sounds are playing as if i go to sounds in settings the audio bar is still showing movement meaning it is still playing audio.

If i try to adjust the audio either via key press or by the volume slider, the system becomes very unresponsive whilst it processes the change in audio volume.

I have tried:

Uninstalling and reinstalling drivers (multiple times)

Hard rest (full shutdown, battery and AC plug out, hold power button to drain system, batttery back in and power lead)

BIOS update to F72

Reset BIOS settings to default

Numerous fresh windows installs from various Windows 10 builds (1903,1809,1803)

WIndows 8.1 install

All these things have not helped the issue and I am still struggling to determine the issue as the laptop plays audio perfectly fine, but for some reason the system stops outputting audio shortly afterwards.

Please can someone help.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Anyone from HP fancy helping?

The laptop is starting to annoy me, I think it is a driver issue but can't get my head around why it's still fails after all the reinstalls of windows and different drivers I have tried.

HP Recommended

@Stewpotz considering the fact that you've already reinstalled windows and yet the issue persists, I suggest we perform an extensive hardware test on the device to identify the cause of the failure and resolve the issue accordingly:

Install the latest version of the HP Hardware diagnostics (UEFI) on your device using this link: Click here for details

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  • Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  • On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.
  • Click Extensive Test.
  • Click Run once, or Loop until error.
  • While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component display on the screen.

If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) for when you respond back to us.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Ran the full extensive test and it passed without error(s).

Booted into windows and music played through spotify for about 10 seconds before it stopped.

Spotify is still playing (progress bar is increasing) but there is no audio.

Clicking on the windows volume icon and moving the slider changes the volume windows thinks is playing but no sound is heard for the adjustment.

HP Recommended

@Stewpotz

Appreciate you trying those steps. This looks like a hardware issue. Please reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the service options for your computer.

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.