Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP ENVY UOO9DX Distorted Audio

hp envy u009dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

It seems a lot of people have been having this problem, as i've read multiple forum posts on this exact issue for this exact laptop. However, after browsing through these forum posts, i have not been able to figure out a solution to this problem. I love this laptop, however the audio is completely distorted and compressed and terrible. I've tried playing music through Itunes, Youtube, etc. and the problem is apparent no matter what i'm listening to. What i've gathered from reading other posts is that there is some Limiter embedded in the audio driver that you can not get rid of. I'd hate to have to return this computer to Best Buy, but i simply cannot deal with this. I've been able to make the problem go away using the Microsoft troubleshooter temporarily,  I think what it's doing is switching to a different audio driver. That solves it temporarily, but as soon as i stop playing sound and leave my computer for roughly 2-3 minutes, the problem comes back. I need a permanent bulletproof solution so i can completely remove this situation from my mind, or the laptop is going back to the store. It's ludicrous and immensely frustrating that Windows and/or HP feels the need to embed a filter into their audio driver.

5 REPLIES 5
Provost Provost
Provost
105557 96108 14841 22827
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

I have no idea if this will work or not, but the HP Probook 450 G3 also has the conexant HD audio system, and I haven't heard any reports of lousy audio quality.

It appears there is a totally different driver for that model's conexant audio.

This package contains the driver that enables the Conexant High-Definition (HD) Audio in supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system.

10.0.931.79 Rev.Q

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp77001-77500/sp77176.exe

I don't know if you want to give that driver a shot or not but I thought I would bring it to your attention.

0 Kudos
Johnbear Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thank you for the quick reply!
i installed the driver you sent me and it told me to restart once it had finished. It didn't seem to have any affect. i Uninstalled one of the NVIDIA audio drivers that came on the computer and it seems to have scooped some of the low end out of the audio but the peaking/distortion is still present.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
105557 96108 14841 22827
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Sorry that driver didn't work.

In the BIOS, is there an Intel Smart Audio setting?

If there is, see what happens if you disable it.

Strange that the nvidia audio driver would impact the conexant notebook speaker audio, because the nvidia audio is for the HDMI port.  But I guess anything can happen.

0 Kudos
Johnbear Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

how do i get to the BIOS?

0 Kudos
Johnbear Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

i got into the BIOS and i didn't see anything like that.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation