Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP - ENVY 13-ah1507na 13.3" Intel® Core™ i5 Laptop - 256 GB SSD
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

model: HP - ENVY 13-ah1507na 13.3" Intel® Core™ i5 Laptop - 256 GB SSD

Purchased: April 2019

Hi,

One of the  front speakers on my HP Envy is malfunctioning. Initially it would randomly buzz and distort sound but now whenever I play consistent sound (such as whitenoise) the sound is distorted and breaks in and out consistently. 

I have tried:

updating drivers (no effect)

turning off the microphone in case there was a feedback loop (no effect).

muting or turning the volume down low/ to zero: some effect, but random buzzing still occurs (not as frequently) even when speakers are muted and microphone is disabled. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@shanek123 Did you check with a headphone or an external set of speakers to check if that works?

Did you update to the latest drivers from the HP website?

(Click here to find and install, if you haven't)

If the issue persists, please try the below steps:

1. Go to Windows Device Manager > Sound, video and game controllers section.
  2. In the list of audio device drivers, look for Realtek High Definition Audio or Conexant (depending on what driver you have).
  3. Right-click and select Disable. The downward arrow displays on this driver, indicating it is disabled. (NOTE: At this point, you won’t be able to play any music files.)
  4. Right-click and select Update Driver Software.
  5. Select Browse my computer for driver software.
  6. Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
  7. You should see a window that says Select the device driver you want to install for this hardware. NOTE: If you see a window that says something like This is the best driver for this device, exit the window and repeat steps 4, 5, and 6.
  8. In the Model box, highlight High Definition Audio Device (this is the substitute audio device driver) and click Next.
  9. At the Update Driver Warning window, click Yes. You should see a confirmation window with High Definition Audio Device displayed. Click Close.
  10. In the list of audio device drivers in the Sound, video and game controllers section, you’ll notice that the High Definition Audio Device now displays instead of Realtek High Definition Audio.
  11. At the prompt to reboot, click Yes.
  12. Enjoy your music now with no compression

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep me posted, as I (Or a trusted colleague) shall follow-up on this case to ensure the concern has been addressed, 

And your device is up and running again, only in case you don't get back to us, first! 

That said, If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us, and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.