Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Thanks a lot! This worked for me.

I only just received my Envy 15-ae109na this week and was getting the crackling and popping when playing mp4 files. 

Followed your steps, though on "Recording" it would not let me change the quality.

But it's fixed now anyway.

Great stuff!

HP Recommended

The above recommendation did not work for me. What worked was to uninstall the Realtek High Definition Audio from the Sound in Device Manager and rebooting. The horrible HP structural sound defect will come back after a few reboots but will go away by repeating the same process. Hooah HP engineers! LOL  

HP Recommended

I'm a music producer and mastering engineer so I was horrified to hear the crackle on my new HP Envy laptop. I can't believe this hasn't been fixed by HP. If it was a car it would have been recalled! Anyway, I tried setting the playback/recording setting to higher resolution and it made no difference. I updated drivers and downloaded a fix link but it didn't help. It soon dawned on me that this was an output volume issue. The crackling is the sound of clipped audio. If you record a guitar in the studio and the level is too hot then you get the exact same sound. So to fix it I went to the graphic EQ in Bang & Olufsen and reduced each fader by minus 1db. As long as you do it to each fader the sound will be the same. By doing this the clipping/crackle stops as output volume is no longer clipping. 

HP Recommended

so did tjis work for you, i justed deleted realtek and it restarted should it work now?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.