Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 17 3000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

It seems that my computer refuses to output stereo.  I have a real need to do that and can find no reason why it won't work.  Other threads here in the last few years ended with no resolution.  PLEASE do not tell me that my nice laptop (which I own 6 of) cannot do a simple task like actually play music in stereo.  

HOW CAN I FIX THIS?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you, but your reply seems to be wrong in every respect.    However, I FOUND THE ANSWER.

Bear in mind that I own SIX HP Envy 17 3000 series PCs, all updated to Windows 10, and have been working with them daily for years.

- when you refer to "the Settings button at the top-right of the Home Screen", I have no idea what you are talking about.  

- I have never seen the "Sound Preferences" panel that you showed as a screenshot in your reply.

- Though I can barely read it (it's too small), it appears that you are showing a "system sounds" control panel, which has absolutely nothing to do with my problem.

I FOUND THE ANSWER for turning on "stereo" playback:

- From the START menu, I opened "Settings".

- in the main Settings window, I did a search for "AUDIO", which apparently is a different control panel from the more typical "SOUND" control panel.

- in the "AUDIO" control panel there is an option to "turn on mono audio".  On my PC, it was set to "ON".  I switched it to "OFF" and suddenly, I had real stereo output from my speakers and headphones. 

Almost too easy.  I must confess I was not aware of the "AUDIO" control panel, and am not clear why it is separate from the "SOUND" control panel.

mono audio control panel.jpg

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Steve_in_DE

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

You can turn device sounds on and off using the Sound Preferences utility. You can also specify which sounds to play when a particular event occurs.

To adjust the sound preferences:

1. Click the Settings button at the top-right of the Home Screen, and then click the Advanced tab.

2. Click Sound. The Sound Preferences window opens.

3. Modify your sound preferences, and then click Close.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you, but your reply seems to be wrong in every respect.    However, I FOUND THE ANSWER.

Bear in mind that I own SIX HP Envy 17 3000 series PCs, all updated to Windows 10, and have been working with them daily for years.

- when you refer to "the Settings button at the top-right of the Home Screen", I have no idea what you are talking about.  

- I have never seen the "Sound Preferences" panel that you showed as a screenshot in your reply.

- Though I can barely read it (it's too small), it appears that you are showing a "system sounds" control panel, which has absolutely nothing to do with my problem.

I FOUND THE ANSWER for turning on "stereo" playback:

- From the START menu, I opened "Settings".

- in the main Settings window, I did a search for "AUDIO", which apparently is a different control panel from the more typical "SOUND" control panel.

- in the "AUDIO" control panel there is an option to "turn on mono audio".  On my PC, it was set to "ON".  I switched it to "OFF" and suddenly, I had real stereo output from my speakers and headphones. 

Almost too easy.  I must confess I was not aware of the "AUDIO" control panel, and am not clear why it is separate from the "SOUND" control panel.

mono audio control panel.jpg

HP Recommended

@Steve_in_DE

I am glad to know that you managed to resolve the issue. Please reach out again for any further assistance.

Have a nice day ahead.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.