Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Envy 17T (2016) model conexant audio dull and muffled

HP Envy 17T
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am using the HP envy 17T with coenexant audio ( HP driver 8.65) , however the audio is dull or muffled with no trebel or fidelity  comapred to my real tek audio from my older laptop. There is also no equalizer or enhancements to improve audio quality. THere is also no software except the Bang and Olufsen eualizer ( doesnt work with headphones too ) .  In google its stated that its a windows 10 problem specifically  the win 10 creator's update. Tried levovo drivers version 8.66 with dolby function, it worked   but upoun restarting the heasphones cant get recognised 

WIll it be possible HP can revampt the softare and release new drivers? . 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
22,507 22,464 1,889 3,006
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Mike_Jay

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

As I understand on your HP Envy 17T (2016), the Conexant audio is dull and muffled,

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

Did you upgrade the BIOS?

And install the latest driver from the HP website? Click here, if you haven't.

While you respond to that, I have a few steps you could perform to resolve the issue: 

Remove the audio drivers & Reinstall the original drivers 

Update the Audio drivers from the Official HP website for Windows 10 (click on change on the top to switch between OS). 

Here are a few steps that should help:

• Right-click the speaker icon in the Task bar and select 'Playback Devices'. 
  • Left click the default device once to highlight it ( it's usually 'speakers & headphones' )
  • then click the Properties button. 
  • Click the Enhancements tab and put a tick in the box next to 'Loudness Equalization'. 
  • Click Apply to save the change and then click OK in all remaining windows and see if this has helped at all.

If the issue persists, the best way to do that is using the HP Guided Troubleshooter: 

Click here to access it (simply select your description of the issue from the bottom of the screen to gain access to the next set of steps that should resolve your concern).

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Mike_Jay
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

i have reverted back to the previous version of windows. The sound is better now... but my enhancements tab is missing . I am not able to enable loudness equaliation or other enhancements in the driver . However they are present in the microsoft driver....

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Mike_Jay

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

I appreciate your time and efforts, 

I recommend you check the box - "Disable all sound effects" to further improve the sound quality and if you could, disable the loudness equalization from the Microsoft driver as well, just to be on the safer side and let me know you that works.

Keep me posted,

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Mike_Jay
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

as stated, the enhancements tab are in the microsoft drivers but thats not the issue. I want to  know why the enhancements tab is not found in the conexant driver  

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Mike_Jay

Thank you for replying,

The enhancement tab depends on the audio driver, if it was available before but isn't anymore, I recommend the below steps to get them back (however, the enhancement tab is subject to the manufacturer of the Audio card)

• Fire up the pop-menu above the start button by pressing “Windows key + X
  • Select “Device Manager” from the list.
  • Now go to the “Sound, video and game controllers” section.
  • Here, you should search for “Conexant SmartAudio” under the list of audio device drivers. Right click and select “Disable”.
  • Right click again and this time click on “Update driver software
  • Opt for “Browse my computer for driver software
  • Now go for “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
  • A window asking you to select the driver that you want to install for the device should now appear.
  • You might see a list of available drivers. Click on “High definition audio device” and then hit “Next”
  • When asked, select “Yes” and a confirmation window should appear indicating that the process has completed.
  • When asked to reboot, say yes (this should resolve it) if it doesn't, Click here to recover the factory shipped drivers using the recovery manager.

Keep me posted,

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Mike_Jay
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

as i have stated, i  want to see the ehnacements tab int he conexant drivers not the microsoft drivers..

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Mike_Jay

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

If you want the enhancement tab for your Conexant drivers, you could try updating the audio drivers from the recovery manager, if not available the HP website: Click here to find and install.

The only other way to obtain it is by going to the Conexant web page and looking for them manually, considering the function may have been removed by Conexant if it isn't available anymore.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, 

Feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon 

Followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' 

And Have a great day ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation