Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 m6 Convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Like the subject above says. The headphone jack does work, but after closing the PC and opening the screen again, it does not make any sound. When I plug it in, the pop-up still comes up to alert me that I've plugged in my headphone, but no sound comes out. It seems to work only after I restart my computer.  It began in my second week of owning it.  I've searched the forums, but I was not able to find anything like my problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @dontdomilk,

Thanks for getting back to me. I found this troubleshooter for Sound and speakers issues. http://ow.ly/E56a303YRhM.

Let me know. 

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @dontdomilk,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I came across your post about the Notebook, and wanted to assist you! I have looked into your issue about your HP ENVY x360 and headphone jack working intermittently. Click the Windows key and type System, then go to Notifications category. The Notifications section there is a control to show app notifications, which will turn them completely on or off as needed. You could check the selection and make sure it is on.

If this is an upgraded system to the Windows 10, this feature could be missing or not available in the Windows Sound Schemes. Here is a link to check on this.

You could  try using the Windows Update Troubleshooting tool to fix any updates that have not come through for Windows.  Please restart the Notebook twice to make sure all update have been completed!

Please let me know how this goes.

You can say thanks for trying to help by clicking the Thumbs Up below!:smileyhappy:.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hi dontdomilk,

I've been having similar issues with my headphone jack working intermittenly. I've tried going through Windows settings and disabling the HP speakers, but then having no sound at all coming through the speakers I've plugged in through the headphone jack. I've Googled and read several posts in HP support. It's incredibly frustrating! Especially since I've only had this laptop for a few months. What I just tried and it seemed to work was to plug in my desktop speakers through the jack, but to wiggle it around just a little bit and pull the jack out ever so slightly. Not only did the laptop finally detect that something was plugged into the jack and give me a pop up that said something was plugged in, but music finally started playing through my desktop speakers!

At this point, I'm not sure if it's a fluke, dumb luck or an actual fix, but I thought I'd share. 🙂

HP Recommended

An update:

I am incredibly frustrated with this issue again! My "wiggle fix" doesn't work. I plug in my desktop speakers into the headphone jack and nothing happens. My laptop doesn't even recognize that something has been plugged in. When I go into the Sound settings and look at the Playback devices, it still shows "Headphones- Not plugged in." 

I saw on another forum post a post for an HP Spectre where someone was told to do a hard reset. I assume this could be done for any model having similar issues, but my problem with that is why doesn't it just WORK? I should be able to plug in my speakers or headphones into the headphone jack and they should be recognized and music should just play through them. At the very least, the laptop should know when something is plugged into the jack!

HP Recommended

Thanks @Mrstenter, but again, my issue is not with notifications, but rather the sound itself. When I plug my headphone in, the computer acknowledges that I have done so, but the sound does not come out (tried with several sets of headphones). It will work once I have restarted my computer, but after closing the laptop and opening again, it will resume not working.

I gave up trying to find an answer, but it has started happening again and I've found my old thread! haha.

HP Recommended

Hi @dontdomilk,

Thanks for getting back to me. I found this troubleshooter for Sound and speakers issues. http://ow.ly/E56a303YRhM.

Let me know. 

Thanks.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I went through the troubleshooter, and it looks like the generic B&O software driver is problematic (it detected a decive was plugged in, rather than my headphones).  Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.