Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Notebook-m7-k211dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

My laptop's fan has been running continuously at high speed for several months. It starts as soon as it is turned on and never stops.  The laptop was purchased in May 2015 and is very well taken care of.  It is not due to dust.  I have taken it to Best Buy/Geek Squad and they checked all possible causes. I was told that I had to wait for an HP update and that would resolve the problem. Is that true? How long do I have to wait for the update? I am very frustrated since I have to study for a large exam and the fan is extremely distracting.  Thanks

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi @Treebri23,

Welcome to the HP Forum! Thank you for becoming a HP Forum member. It is a dynamite location to get help from the community, get suggestions and find what has worked for others. For you have the best experience, here is a link for you to review, should you have any concerns: First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More

I understand that the fan run continuously  on your notebook. You have taken it to Best Buy / Geek Squad and were told you need to wait for an update from HP to resolve this issue. Here is a link to HP Notebook PCs - Fan is Noisy and Spins Constantly, PC is Warmer than Normal

You can run the HP Support Assistant  to aid with any recommended HP updates. Please let me know the outcome. 

Please let me know if this resolves the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution" To simply say thanks, click the Thumbs Up” below!  🙂  If you require further assistance let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended
I followed the directions you provided. A new BIOS update was downloaded. Restarted my computer...fan is still running. So frustrated. This computer is only a year old. Can't understand why this is so perplexing.
HP Recommended

Hi @Treebru,

Thank you for the update. There is a setting in the BIOS for the fan to be always on, please check that setting.  If you boot into safe mode does the fan run constantly? HP PCs - Windows Safe Mode (Windows 10, 😎

Sparkles1

HP Recommended
I should tell you that I am not very computer savvy! I followed the instructions to start the computer in safe mode and nothing changed. Where do I find the BIOS settings?
HP Recommended
Would these have been things that the Geek Squad would have done?
HP Recommended

Hi Treebru,

Thank you for updating me. I can not say what the Geek Squad checked. If you have a can of compressed air, it might be worth trying to clean the vents.  To get to safe mode

• turn off the notebook
  • turn the notebook on and immediately start pressing F11 approximately once every second. 

To get to the BIOS to check for the fan always on setting, on startup press F10 approximately once every second.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended
I disabled the "fan always on" setting in the BIOS and it still runs. The computer's vents were already cleaned. The safe mode didn't do anything either. 😕
HP Recommended
I disabled the "fan always on" setting in the BIOS and it still runs. The computer's vents were already cleaned. The safe mode didn't do anything either. 😕
HP Recommended

Hi @Treebru23

I am glad you were able to get to the BIOS and into safe mode.  

Have you checked for viruses and malware? Is the notebook overheating? Please test for hardware failures to rule that possibility out. HP Notebook PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 10, 😎. Did this start to occur when you upgraded to Windows 10 or after you had it installed for awhile.  If you run the HP Support Assistant is there any updates found?

Sparkles1

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.