Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy notebook u4o8iij2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

when the laptop is connected to vizio e500 tv via hdmi cable, visuals work just fine.  There is NO Audio.  Other sources of advice have suggested checking the volumn mixer.  Have done that and nothing improves.

Check Sound Settings - have done that but cannot find anything that seems like it deals with the question.

Nobody mentioned Spatial sound so i did nothing with that.

Clicking on "Sound" and the "playback" as some have suggested does not show the TV as I would expect.

The trouble shooter simply cranks away and gives nothing else.

Earlier archieved posts don't seem relevant.

Would sure appreciate some advice on this issue.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

What is the full model number or product number of your notebook?

The product number can be found on the same label as the serial number.

Please do not post the serial number.

Or use this guide to find the above info.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

It sounds to me like your notebook has the Intel HD graphics adapter and the Intel HDMI audio driver is missing.

It's normally an easy fix if that is the case, but I need the specific model number of your PC.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

According to HP Support Assistant the Product Name is HP ENVY Notebook.

The Product Number is V5E32AV.

According to Device Manager under "Sound, Video and game controllers" - "Conexant SmartAudio HD" and "Intel Display Audio" are installed.  

Sure hope this information is what you need or can use to propose a solution to the issue I described.

HP Recommended

Hi:

That is not what I was expecting.

According to what you posted the HDMI audio should be working.

Many times the Intel Display Audio is listed as a HD audio device which means it needs the driver.

But yours has the driver.

Did you check the Windows control panel>hardware and sound>sound>manage audio device, and check that the Intel display audio is the output device?

That would be the only suggestion I can offer, other than trying a different HDMI cable.

HP Recommended

Hi and I'm back

Here is what I  have done.

1 - I did uninstall and reinstall the Intel driver. I did this both from Programs and from Device Manager.

2 - I verified that the correct driver was installed .

3 - Then I learned that the only way it appeared in "Sound" "Playback" was if pc was connected to the tv.

4 - At that point my Vizio E500 set appeared and was the default device.  But no sound and the sound bar was totally inactive.

5 - I have 4-HDMI inputs and tried them all making appropriate changes in the input source.  All of them would play the video but none would play the sound.

6 - Changed the HDMI cable and repeated trying each of the 4 inputs.  Same result.

7 - What will allow sound but not very well is if I make the computer speakers the default device.  Then the video goes to the TV and sound is heard from the speakers of the pc.

I have come to believe that the fault is not with my pc but with my TV set.  That has been somewhat reinforced by the fact that, with some frequency, the tv shows "No Signal" for about 1-2 seconds and then comes back on.  I know very well that you won't have any suggestions about the tv.  I thank you for your efforts and I will look elsewhere.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Hopefully a different TV will work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.