Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I know this is one that has been floating around the forums for a while but I have not been able to find anything that works in my situation. When I connect my laptop to my TV (Panasonic Viera Plasma) via an HDMI cable, I can get the video to show on the TV fine but there is no audio on the TV; it comes out of the laptop. I have tried everything I can think of including deleting the drivers then reinstalling them, updating them, rolling them back, etc., etc., etc.

Here are the specs on my laptop:

• HP ENVY dv7 Notebook PC
  • Windows 8.1 64-bit, 8GB RAM
  • Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3230M CPU @ 2.60GHz
  • Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
  • Intel(R) Display Audio (with Beats Audio)
  • IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

Also, here is a snapshot of the Playback Devices:

Sound.PNG

As you can see, I have nothing which says "HDMI". I have gotten quite frustrated with not being able to get this to work. I would appreciate any help I can get. Thank you.

Alex...

25 REPLIES 25
HP Recommended

Can someone please help...?

HP Recommended

Hello AlexHPinFL. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums. I understand there is no audio through an HDMI connection. I apologize for the long response, but I will do what I can to provide a stable response. First, I have some questions I need to ask, which will hopefully narrow down the issue:

1. Was this function working properly in Windows 8? If this never worked, regardless of the operating system, please let me know. Also, let me know if it stopped after some random occurrence.

2. The title seems to imply that there is no audio when connected to a television, using HDMI. Does this only occur when you connect to a television? Will it occur if you connect to something else using HDMI?

3. Have you tried connecting to a television using VGA or DVI? If so, what are the results?

Please respond with this information. Additionally, I require the complete model number of your Envy computer. If you require assistance locating this information, please reference this website: Locating the Model Number of the Computer

As soon as you respond, I can assist you thoroughly. Thank you for bringing your issue to the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Thank you for getting back to me. The answers to your questions are as follows:

1. I never used this in Windows 8. I upgraded to Windows 8.1 before I purchased the HDTV I have now.

2. I have sound other when connected to the TV. It is when connected to the TV that the sound only comes from the computer and not the TV.

3. I have not tried connecting via other methods than HDMI.

My laptop model number is as follows:

HP ENVY dv7-7323cl Notebook PC

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the detailed response. I am going to provide a series of troubleshooting steps and factors to look at. Hopefully, we will be able to get to the bottom of this.

1. Go into Device Manager. Once you are there, please view your "Display Devices". Please take note of the driver(s) in that section.

2. Next, I do need to ensure that you are following the correct process when connecting HDMI. Please follow every single word of instruction in this document: Connecting a Monitor, Projector or TV

3. Once you have verified you are connecting every properly, some simple troubleshooting needs to be done. This can found in the "Troubleshooting HDMI audio issues" section of this document: Troubleshooting Audio Problems with External Speakers, Headphones, and HDMI Sound Devices

When you respond to this post, please provide the information according to the format I used (as you did in your last post). By listing this troubleshooting, I'm getting all of the simple steps out of the way. If the issue is not yet resolved, a little more thorough troubleshooting will have to be done.

As an additional resource, please reference your television's manual. I would like you to do this to ensure you are doing everything properly from the television's standpoint.

Again, please post your results, and thank you for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

This is one of the BIGGEST reasons why I would want to take my PC and chuck it into the nearest heavily traveled lane of traffic and watch it get completely destroyed by any vehicle that runs over it then go buy a MAC. The idiocy involved in doing such a simple task is revolting.

FIrstly, and in no way am I directing my ire at you specifically, I have already performed almost everything you have listed for me to try... PREVIOUS to me posting this cry for help.

Secondly, I included a screen shot of the sound devices in my first post and indicated that my display driver/device is  Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000. Beyond that, I don't know what you are looking for.

Thirdly, and most frustrating, the document you told me to "follow every single word of instruction" (which I have previously done) doesn't even tell me to connect the laptop to the TV. It talks about the different kinds of connections but never actually TELLS me to connect the laptop to the TV and WHEN to do it.

When I connected my laptop to my TV for the first time it never tried to load ANY drivers. HOWEVER, it does show "PANASONIC TV" (the brand of my TV) and the monitor type in the resolution dialog. But it also show no other type of monitor.

The biggest issue I can see is that there is NO DRIVER LISTED FOR THE HDTV AUDIO in the sound devices. Therefore how could it transmit audio via the HDMI cable since it doesn't seem to even recognize it?

I am at my wits end. And I have NO INTENTION OF PAYING SOMEONE TO MAKE THIS WORK!!!! There is NO reason why it should not work upon conection of the HDMI cable.

What the hell is wrong with HP (or any other PC manufacturer - and Microsoft, as well) when the simple task of connecting a laptop to a TV is so complex and convoluted. And, by the way, I am an electrical engineer with multiple degrees... And this doesn't make sense to me!!! For pity's sake, can someone please give me a simple solution to what should be a simple issue??!!

Alex...

HP Recommended

Hi Alex,

Try Intel's Win 8.1 64 bit driver version 15.33.8.64.3345 available here

Jaco

****I am not an HP employee****

Please give a" Kudos" if advice received is relevant or" Accept as Solution" if your problem has been solved.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
H8 1380t CTO, Intel i7 3820
16 GB DDR3
Pegatron Motherboard- IPIWB-PB (Pittsburgh), Radeon HD 7570 1GB. Win 7 Home Premium upgraded to Windows 8.1 Pro.

Envy Phoenix 810-150se, Intel i7 4820k
16 GB DDR3
Pittsburgh2 Mainboard, NVIDIA GTX 645- 2GB GDDR5. Win 8.1 Pro.

HP 560z CTO AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
16 GB DDR3.
Radeon HD 6570
Win 7 Home Premium upgraded to Win 7 Pro.

HP ENVY 17t-j000 CTO Quad Edition Notebook. I7 4702mq
12 GB DDR3
Nvidia Graphics
Win 8 Pro

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply Jaco.

Unfortunately, it would not let me install it. I got the error "The driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer manufacturer. Setup will exit."

I also tried to install the previous version and got the same result.

I am trying something else right now and will update you on my progress shortly. Thank you.

Alex...

HP Recommended

I tried to update the driver manually and it did not work. I am REALLY getting pissed off here. The driver for Intel won't load because it has not been "validated" by HP yet the most recent driver from HP doesn't give me the HDMI driver I need to get this to work.

I am at the point where I will spend whatever money necessary to get a new laptop ... one that is NOT an HP ... just so I can get this to work and NOT spend ANY money toward any HP services just to deny them the income.

This situation has done nothing but make me NOT want another HP machine in my house.

I will state that the previous laptop I had - a ProBook that I gave to my daughter when I bought this one - connected to my TV with NO ISSUES FIRST TIME and provided audio through the HDMI cable to the TV.

SO WHY THE HELL WON'T THIS ONE!!!!???? So far as I am concerned, HP MACHINES SUCK AND I WILL NOT BE BUYING ANOTHER ONE. I AM DONE.

Alex...

HP Recommended

This is the exact problem that I am having.  I purchased an HP 4540s laptop and when connecting to a projector the video shows up fine.  There is no audio.  I have spent over 2 hours trying to figure out how to get the laptop to include the digital audio option in the volume control options.  This is how it should look which as it dfoes on my HP desktop:

digital audio.JPG

On the laptop, the Realtech Digital Audio is missing.  You did not answer AleHPin's question which is my question.  What I see in the volume control options is the same as what Alex showed in his picture.

I have tried downloading a new IDT audio driver, I have gone into the Control Panel numerous times, and have checked the HDMI cable - all to no avail.  I am using Windows 7 and did not install the Windows 8 option which was included with the laptop.

Since I bought this laptop with the express purpose of using it with a projector, I am very frustrated and will have to return the laptop to Micro Center if this issue cannot be resolved.

Please tell both of us how to get the digital audio option into the volume control!  I hope someone there knows how to do it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.