Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
M7-j120dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This has been driving me nuts.  I haven't heard a true audio sound out of my beats audio laptop speakers in YEARS.  I have a separate bluetooth speaker or headphones I have to use if I want to stream a video or listen to music.  I think it might have happened after a windows update?  Has anyone experienced this?  I thought it might be my speakers, but when trying to listen with wired headphones I hear the same noise. Maybe the whole sound card has an issue?  Is that a separate board in this laptop or would it just be the motherboard?  Sound comes through perfectly on my bluetooth devices.  I recorded the sound in a youtube video so anyone can hear it. Thank you.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-zDzGUOOmE

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only suggestion I can offer would be to see if the W10 IDT audio driver from a newer model notebook works on yours.

Restart the PC after installing the driver.

6.10.6492.0    Jul 17, 2015

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp71501-72000/sp71886.exe

The onboard audio is an integral part of the motherboard, not a separate or fixable component.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the suggestion.  I've downloaded and installed that same driver many times to no avail. Aside from this sound issue, this laptop also has the super fun crappily designed hinge problem Hp refuses to acknowledge, where simply opening and closing the lid/screen destroys the cheap plastic base so the whole base of the laptop is constantly trying to separate.  Since spending way too much money on a another cheap plastic base will just bring me back to the same situation, I'm going to epoxy the hinge into place.  When I'm inside the case today I'll inspect the motherboard for damage.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Sorry the driver didn't work for you.

Yes, I have noticed several different model HP notebooks have hinge issues, with little to no remedy to fix by HP.

Not good.

I only own HP business-class notebooks, and so far none of them have had any issues with hinges or other hardware problems.

I have Dell business PC's too, and have been lucky with those so far as well.

The next time you are in the market for a desktop or notebook PC, I recommend that you look into the business class lines offered by the major PC manufacturers.

They cost more, but are worth it.

I have a HP nc6400 business class notebook from 2006 that still works great, and even runs W10.

HP Recommended

I've had many Hp laptops (none were business class) and I've never had this hinge issue.  First time I've ever bought an Envy and boy what a mistake.  Fist time I've ever bought an extended warranty too and the first time I've ever needed it.  I was pretty pissed when they wouldn't cover the hinge issue.  They said normal wear and tear was not covered.  I asked how a laptop that hardly ever gets closed up and packed around breaking at the hinges and coming apart is normal wear and tear and not a horrible design flaw.  That was before I looked into it and realized what a problem it is.  It blows my mind that they shirk all responsibility for this.  

HP Recommended

I FIXED it!  I opened up the back to epoxy the hinges.  That's working great as well but onto the speakers.  I'm not sure exactly what fixed it but here's what I did.  I followed all of the speaker wires to see if there was a short somewhere.  The fronts, the rears, and the sub. It seemed like the plug for the rear speakers was messed up, but it turned out to be okay.  The only problem I saw was the socket on the board for the front speakers was cracked and seemed really loose.  Not sure if that loose connection would make the speakers make the noise they were making.  I've reflowed motherboards with a heat gun before so I tried that.  I heated up the that socket and held it snug to board as it cooled down.  Then it seemed right.  The only other thing I did as I put it back together was I unplugged the CMOS battery.  I got the BIOS reset message when I rebooted.  That might have done the trick.  Either way.  My speakers are working for the first time in years!

HP Recommended

That's great news!

Hopefully, you repairs will hold out and you will be able to get a few more years of use out of your notebook.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.