Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

When using Zoom and speaking my microphone has really poor quality and has static.  I can hear fine it is like this only when I speak.  I ran the troubleshooting test through Zoom and Microsoft and it is still happening.   Help,  My Laptop is about 1 year old

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I have similar problem.  My HP EnvyX360 does the same thing. Machine has 6 month warranty left. Bought in 2018. Only due to Covid19 lockdown did I try to use Skype and Zoom.

Mike seems to be overmodulating and on test voice sounds life a Dalek from Dr Who. Buzzing, static on speech. Totally unsatisfactory. Is this the internal Mic,  or the Realtec (R) Audio Driver. 

I have googled this problem to no avail. Solutions range from changing registery settings, upgrade driver, replace driver but only if you are computer system literate, which  I am not.

In any case the only suggestion that worked was to use a USB Headset. I bought one and it worked perfectly. Excellent if you are on your own, absolutely no use if there are more people listening in. They cannot hear the other person.

This appears not to be an isolated problem but one which is quite common.

I need a fix that someone who is not a computer expert can apply.

HP Recommended

Which headset did you buy? I think that is going to be the way I go. So frustrated.

HP Recommended

Got a reasonably cheap set from Currys in case it didn't work. £34.99 on line £5 for quick delivery.

LOGITECH - H340 USB Headset

Product code 077950.

This worked perfectly for me and great if you're flying solo. No use if there are more than you listening in to say a Quiz 

set-up on Zoom or similar. Only the person with the headset can hear the other party so this is not a fix but a work-around.

The USB headset is plug and play so, in my case, when you plug into the USB port it is recognised and appropriate drivers loaded. Simple as that. (It takes over hardware and software from on-board mic)

This is not a new problem and I am ASTOUNDED that HP has not come up with a fix.

As I am socially isolated due to age and medical conditions I need the computer for Email and on-line shopping but rest assured, at the earliest oppertunity I will be taking it in to Currys Techies to have it fixed. No fix, new computer. Thank goodness I took an extended guarantee.

Good luck, stay safe and let me know how it goes.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestion. It worked! I purchased a MPOW set on Amazon. It's a shame that HP won't fix this situation.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.