Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

After some initial success getting the microphone driver (thanks Paul_Tikkanen), I am also running into the same problem.  The microphone stops working randomly in video conference calls; sometimes after a few minutes, sometimes after several hours.   When the microphone stops working, it sometimes coincides with a loud screeching sound from the speakers until I do a hard re-boot.  The microphone comes back after a reboot, but the cycle repeats during the next video conference call.  I have observed this using both Zoom and Google Meet.

I very much like this laptop, but unfortunately it will need to be returned if this can't be resolved soon since this was primarily purchased to enable video conference calls.

Has anybody found a permanent solution or received any news from HP?

Model #15M-EE0013DX

HP Recommended

They will make you do a factory reset on the computer. I did this and the computer is working good so far.

Just make sure you don't install the hp updates and do only the windows updates .

HP Recommended

I got the laptop back from HP repair.  The repair actions were: driver reloaded, operating system reinstalled, and extensive testing performed.  I powered it up, installed chrome, started a google meet and within an hour the laptop failed.  I ended up with a blue screen when I tried to adjust the volume and open the sound widget in the taskbar.  IT IS FRUSTRATING THAT THE TECH WALKED ME THROUGH THESE EXACT STEPS THEN I SEND IT OFF AND THEY DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING DIFFERENT.  I’m at such a loss right now.

HP Recommended

I've had the exact same problem with microphone on this Envy laptop.  Loud screeching noise occurs when mic fails.  It definitely is built-in mic driver issue, because headphone mic works fine when plugged in.

Love the laptop, but HP needs to find updated driver for this AMD audio mic device.   Please help.

HP Recommended

My Envy's barely a week old and I've had this happen to me several times already. The laptop would first freeze, and then the speakers would lock up, emitting a horrible grinding sound. Today, though, my laptop froze, the screen went blank for a few mins (no noise), and then it sort of restarted itself, but the audio wouldn't work. I then ran the HP support assistant fix audio issue utility and the machine completely froze - I ended up having to power down. A few days back, I updated the graphics driver but suffered a THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICED_DRIVER BSOD. Has anyone else had this issue?

HP Recommended

There is no permanent fix (yet). On this thread, which HP conveniently closed, there is a temporary fix that involves uninstalling and reinstalling the AMD drivers and, more importantly, put a halt to Windows update:

Re: Audio driver issues envy 15m-ee0013dx

I returned my laptop, after escalating the case. I will get, in exchange, a gift card that I plan to use to buy an intel model that will most likely cost %40 more. But at least I will be able to do my work (I teach online via Zoom video)

HP Recommended

Yes -- it's annoying that HP has closed the original thread. This is a major issue with their 15-ee0013dx laptop.

We bought 15 of these laptops for a school. ALL are having the same problems with the mic crashing Zoom after 15-30 minutes. A reboot fixes temporarily.

Installing the latest AMD drivers from the AMD website fixes the problem, but you need to block Windows Update from reinstalling the buggy drivers automatically. You can do this by disabling Windows Update temporarily or using group policy to block driver updates in Windows Update.

This problem is happening on the factory image from HP as well as our reimaged laptops with Windows 10 Education using the latest drivers from the HP website and the most recent BIOS update.

We are also considering disabling the internal mic and providing standalone USB mics until HP resolves.  

It's very frustrating.

HP Recommended

Envymenot, can you link the driver from AMD's website please

HP Recommended

SilverJEM, I just ran the autoscan software and let it choose the right driver.

That said, the new driver wasn't a permanent fix for us. We just started having the same problem again with the new driver, but not as rapidly as the with the older driver. 

For what it's worth it looks like HP rolled back the AMD Video driver to the June 24th version on their support site, so this is what we're currently using. We're pushing out the update to our laptops and using group policy to block driver updates for these. Hopefully this will provide a better fix until HP/AMD can figure out what's happening.

HP Recommended

Same thing for me.

New drivers not longer works.

Still waiting for a solution from HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.