Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy x360 Convertible 15m
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Product name: HP Envy x360-15m-dr1012dx / HP Envy x360 Convertible 15m-dr1xxx

I bought this laptop around March 2020 but I had not had the need to listen to any video until lately so I'm not sure when this problem began. The problem is that whenever I play any videos, a slight humming or buzzing sound will start coming from the upper left area of the computer, near the area at the top of the ESC key. The noise is present whether I have it charging or not. The humming sound is very low and does not sound like the fan at all. If nothing that requires audio is playing, there is no humming noise at all. The sound for email notifications and such system sounds work fine and do not trigger the humming. Noise happens on any video that has sound including YouTube, online news videos, Zoom, etc.

The noise will go away right after I mute the laptop's speaker even if a video continues playing. If I mute the video itself and leave the speaker unmuted, the noise usually continues. If I use headphones or disable the Realtek Audio driver, the buzzing sound disappears.

Here's what I've tried:

1. Updating audio drivers

2. Disabling audio drivers and then updating it by clicking "browse my computer"

3. Updating Windows with latest updates

4. Running the troubleshooter, no problems detected

5. Disabling audio enhancements

6. Changing default format to 16 bit instead of 24 bit

I'm willing to try anything that will not force me to reset the laptop as I have important work related programs that I had a hard time getting my workplace's IT department to install.

Any help is appreciated!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@bananamilk6 

What EXACTLY is your HP Envy x360 Convertible 15m  ? We can't help w/o knowing what is it ? Please use the following way to find out the model/product of your machine

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Please do NOT post its Serial number (s/n).

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Sorry, I think the text was cut off. Product name/model is HP Envy x360-15m-dr1012dx or HP Envy x360 Convertible 15m-dr1xxx.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.