Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hello !

I have faced a similar problem earlier. I have also followed the steps you provided and solved the issue. However, the problem occurred again. No sounds and websites are not responding. The "Windows Shell Common Dll is not responding" message again. Earlier, I have followed the steps of booting the computer system diagnostics by tapping F2 repeatedly on startup. There was a video that showed step by step and that provided me great guidance. Now, I am not being able to find that video. Could you please give me the link to that video so that i can follow that video can fix the problem again ? I really need that video again. Please help me asap.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@sanjed

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

• Did this happen after a recent window or software update?
  • What is the operating system?

While you respond to that, let's try these steps: 

Hard Reset: Follow steps from the link: https://hp.care/2GnkMa8.

BIOS default: 

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
  2. Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
  3. On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
  4. Press F10 to Save and Exit.
  5. Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
  6. Follow the prompts to restart your computer.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes it happened after the recent update and I am using core i7 Windows 10. I tried rebooting and all but was not helpful. Then I uninstalled and reinstalled the Conexant Smartaudio and so far its working. Don't know if it is a permanent solution as of yet.

I have few questions regarding hard reset and BIOS setup. Will these options erase my hardrive ? What effect will these option make ? If its Conexant Smartaudio the problem, can remove it and install Realtek in my hp x360 ?

Note that this problem isn't new to me. It happened quite a few times ever since I have been using it for the past 2 years. This time it occurred after more than a year. May I know why exactly this problem is arising ?

HP Recommended

@sanjed
To get the answer to this question, BIOS default settings will not erase your data files and installing the Realtek driver might not be stable. 

However, this sounds like Audio drivers related issue, after recent update the Conexant Smartaudio driver conflicts with the software. 

Try this workaround: 

Go to Windows Device Manager > Sound, video and game controllers section.
In the list of audio device drivers, look for Conexant High definition Audio. This is the device driver for BeatsAudio (a little bit sneaky, wouldn’t you say?).
Right-click and select Disable. The downward arrow displays on this driver, indicating it is disabled. (NOTE: At this point, you won’t be able to play any music files.)

• Right-click and select Update Driver Software.
  • Select Browse my computer for driver software.
  • Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
  • You should see a window that says Select the device driver you want to install for this hardware. NOTE: If you see a window that says something like This is the best driver for this device, exit the window and repeat steps 4, 5, and 6.
  • In the Model box, highlight High Definition Audio Device (this is the substitute audio device driver) and click Next.
  • At the Update Driver Warning window, click Yes. You should see a confirmation window with High Definition Audio Device displayed.
  • Click Close.
  • In the list of audio device drivers in the Sound, video and game controllers section, you’ll notice that the High Definition Audio Device now displays instead of Conexant High definition Audio.
  • At the prompt to reboot, click Yes.

If the issue still persists try the steps recommended below.
Is the loudness equalization off? If not, please:

• Right, click the speaker icon
  • select 'Playback Devices'. 
  • Highlight the default device
  • Click Properties
  • Click Enhancements tab
  • Next to 'Loudness Equalization' take out the check mark in the box.
  • Click Apply
  • Click OK

If the issue still persists uninstall the audio driver from the device manager and install the drivers using the HP recovery manager.

Refer this article to know how to restore drivers using HP recovery manager.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.