Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 4 (258 Views)

HP G71-340US: No audio output from headphone jack

Product Name: HP G71-340US
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
I recently installed a Kinivo Bluetooth adapter (BTD-400) on my HP G71-340US laptop (Windows 7 64-bit OS).  Although the bluetooth adapter works as expected, my headphones don’t get any audio output when plugged into the laptop jack.  I checked the Manage Audio Devices / Sound / Playback panel and the “Independent Headphones” (IDT High Definition Audio CODEC) are in working order.  In fact, the Headphones can be seen changing status on the Playback panel when I plug in or remove the headphone connection.  So the hardware seems to be working fine just like before.

I ran the Microsoft Troubleshooting tool and it did find an issue with the Independent Headphones but was unable to automatically fix it.  The problem was identified as: Audio device isn't set as default.  However, the "Independent Headphones" are listed as the "Default Communications Device" on the Playback tab.

I’m not sure what I need to do next to resolve this issue.  Please advise.

Thanks.
Jeff
0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 4 (222 Views)

Re: HP G71-340US: No audio output from headphone jack

Hi @JeffQ1,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out. I came across your post and wanted to assist you with this,

Don't worry, as I have a few steps which should help to resolve your concern,

To help you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details.

Have you made any software or hardware changes made on the PC?

When was the last time it worked (date)?

Was there any update/reset interrupted recently?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Using the Microsoft Fix it Tool

Troubleshooting Headphone and the External Speaker Connections

When using external speakers or headphones, verify that the sound cables are properly connected from the speaker to the computer. Cable connectors and plug assignments are normally color-coded to aid with connections.

To check the headphone and the external speaker connections, follow the steps below.

1. Disconnect the speaker cable from the computer.

2. Insert the headphone jack directly into the “speaker out” connector on the computer. The connector is marked with either a speaker  icon or a headphone  icon.

3. To test the sound on the computer, follow the steps below.

NOTE:

The steps below assume you are not in the Classic View of the Control Panel.

• Click Start, Control Panel, and then Hardware and Sound.

• Click Change system sounds under Sound to open the Sound window.

• From the Sounds tab, select any option under Program that has the sound icon next to it, such as Asterisk, click Test, and then OK.

4. Determine if the sound is audible through the headphones.

• If the sound is audible through the headphones, the sound hardware on the computer is working and the issue is most likely related to the speakers or the speaker cables. Go to step 5.

• If the sound is not audible through the headphones, go to step 6.

5. Disconnect the headphones, reconnect the speakers, and then test for sound again. If the sound is still not audible, replace the speaker cable or perform the test again with different speakers.

6. Be sure that you connect the headphones into the correct connector and try again. If the sound is still not audible, continue to another test in this document.

For further assistance, please go through the steps suggested in the support document - click here

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. 

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Top Student
Message 3 of 4 (210 Views)

Here are the answers to your questions:

Have you made any software or hardware changes on the PC?
Yes.  I recently installed a Kinivo Bluetooth adapter (BTD-400) on my laptop.

When was the last time it worked (date)?
I don't know the exact date, but it was a couple of weeks ago before installing the Kinivo Blueooth adapter.

Was there any update/reset interrupted recently?
No.

I also ran through the steps (outlined in your reply above) for troubleshooting the headphone, which validated that there is no audio output from the headphone jack.  I have also updated the driver for the headphone jack (IDT High Definition Audio CODEC), but the audio problem was not fixed.

HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 4 (195 Views)

Hi @JeffQ1,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I understand you have tried the steps suggested and still having the issue, don't worry as I have a few other recommendations which should help to resolve the issue,

I would suggest you try with a different set of speakers or headphones. If the speakers or headphones work, this means that the issue is with the headphones.

If for some reason, the alternate speakers or headphone don't work, this clearly indicates this to be an issue with the headphone jack. I would personally suggest you contact our HP phone support for available service options. Please fill in the product details to get the tech support number.

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone numberCase number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Keep me posted for any other assistance,

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation