Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP Envy laptop has stopped playing any sound from its speaker. It is very faint, and I have tried all of the troubleshooting techniques I know. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Don26812v,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are facing issues with the audio volume on your computer.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

What is the exact model for your computer?

Have you tested the volume using headphones?

Meanwhile, the audio troubleshooter might be able to fix audio problems automatically.

To run the troubleshooter

1. In the search box on the taskbar, type audio troubleshooter, select Fix and find problems with playing sound from the results, then select Next.
  2. Select the device you want to troubleshoot and then continue through the troubleshooter. 

You can also launch the troubleshooter from audio Settings. Select Start  > Settings > System  > Sound  > Troubleshoot.

If running the troubleshooter doesn't help, continue to the next step.

Check to make sure your audio devices aren't muted and haven't been disabled.

1. Right-click the Speakers icon  on the taskbar, and then select Open Volume mixer.
  2. You’ll see a set of volume controls for your devices. Make sure none of them are muted. If any of them are muted, you’ll see a red circle with a line through it next to the volume control. In that case, select the volume control to unmute. 
  3. Check your device properties to make sure that your devices have not been disabled by mistake. Select Start  > Settings  > System  > Sound .
  4. Select your audio device, and then select Device properties. Be sure to select Device properties for both the output and input devices.  
  5. Make sure the Disable check box is cleared for the output and input devices.

If that didn't solve your problem, continue to the next tip.

1. In the search box on the taskbar, type device manager, then select it from the results.
  2. Select the arrow next to Sound, video and game controllers to expand it.
  3. Right-click the listing for your sound card or audio device, such as headphones or speakers, select Update driver, then select Search automatically for updated driver software. Follow the instructions to complete the update.

If Windows doesn't find a new driver, look for one on the device manufacturer's website and follow those instructions. If that doesn't work, try uninstalling your audio driver.

To uninstall your audio driver

1. In the search box on the taskbar, type device manager, then select it from the results.
  3. Right-click the listing for your sound card or audio device, select Uninstall device, select the Delete the driver software for this device check box, and then select Uninstall.
  4. Restart your PC.
    • Note: Be sure to save documents and any other current work before you restart.
    • This restart will automatically prompt your PC to reinstall your audio driver.
    • To restart, select Start  > Power  > Restart .

If those options didn’t work, try using the generic audio driver that comes with Windows.

To use the generic audio driver that comes with Windows

3. Right-click the listing for your sound card or audio device, then select Update driver Browse my computer for driver software Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
  4. Select the audio device whose driver you want to update, select Next, and follow the instructions to install it.

If these steps didn't solve your audio issue, visit your device manufacturer’s website and install the most recent audio/sound drivers for your device. 

If you have audio issues after installing updates

If your audio was working before you ran Windows Update and now isn’t working, try rolling back your audio driver.

To roll back your audio driver

3. Right-click the listing for your sound card or audio device, then select Properties.
  4. Select the Driver tab, then select Roll Back Driver.
  5. Read and follow the instructions and then select Yes if you want to roll back your audio driver.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the troubleshooting tips. I have tried several in the past but may have missed something. I am now in the process of adding a couple of Bluetooth speakers and adding a USB/Bluetooth adapter. Hopefully this will eliminate or mitigate the problem. Sorry I  did not state the complete model of the Envy laptop. Frankly, I was revolting from the requirement to open the battery compartment. That is a stupid place to hide such basic info.

Not sure yet whether any of your tips improved the problem yet, so can't state you resolved the issue.  

HP Recommended

@Don26812v,

Thank you for keeping me posted.

Test the computer and post your results, as I will be looking forward to hearing from you.

Good day!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.