Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15z-cw100
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Every so often (about once every day), the speaker on my laptop stops working until I reboot the laptop. This typically happens after I close the lid of the laptop (never happens while I'm using the laptop). Once I reboot, the sound works fine again. This problem has been around pretty much since I purchased this laptop around three months ago.

This problem persists whether or not headphones are plugged in.

I have reinstalled the audio drivers through Device Manager multiple times, and played with the Speaker/Headphone properties.

The laptop came with Windows 10 already installed.

Thank you for your assistance!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@cheddarpopsicle It's quite strange that I didn't know a Cheddar Popsicle exists before I saw your ID, that's something I will definitely try 😉 thanks.

That said, It's time I return the favor, here's a few things that should help identify and resolve the issue:

1) Press the Windows logo key and R on your keyboard to open the Run dialog. Then type “services.msc” and press Enter.

2) On the Services window, scroll down to find the items DCOM Server Process Launcher, Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and RPC Endpoint Mapper. Ensure their status is Running and their startup is set to Automatic

Firewalls can block traffic requested by RPC and therefore cause RPC server unavailable problem. You should check your firewall configuration and see if it blocks the network connections for RPC. If you are using a third-party firewall, read its instruction or do some research about it to unblock the RPC network connections. 

If you are using Windows Firewall, here are the steps of its configuration:

1) Press the Windows logo key and R on your keyboard to open the Run dialog. Then type “control“ and press Enter

2) On Control Panel, search windows firewall. And then click Allow an app through Windows Firewall below Windows Firewall.

3) Scroll down to find Remote Assistance. Ensure its communication is enabled (All the boxes of this item are ticked).

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Riddle_Decipher,

Thanks for your assistance. I've followed your instructions (insuring that the local services are running, and that the firewallallows Remote Assitance to communicate).

However, the problem still persists. As mentioned before, I've tried most of the fixes listed online (turning off audio enhancements, updating drivers, etc.).

I understand that this is probably a software, not a hardware, issue, but would you have any further advice on how to proceed?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

@cheddarpopsicle One other thing we can do, is create a new user account using the steps mentioned here, if that doesn't help, we could perform a reset after a complete data backup, as the last resort: click here for steps.

Keep me posted.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.