Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bhturnow
6 5 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Pavilion dv9913cl - No Audio Output Device Is Installed - No Sound or Audio Device

Pavilion dv9913cl
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Just upgraded to Windows 7 64-Bit from Vista 64-Bit and still having the same issue.   The speaker icon reads "No audio output device is installed."  Under "Device Manager", I do not even have a "Sound" icon to choose from.  I tried installed drivers for both Covenant and Realtek audio devices but it says no product found.  I have also download the HP Support Assistant and no luck.  I also tried the virtual assistant and went through all the steps but also no luck.  

Under playback and sound options under the "Sound" tab, it says "no audio devices are installed".

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Be well.  Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,418 21,373 1,802 2,891
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Pavilion dv9913cl - No Audio Output Device Is Installed - No Sound or Audio Device

@bhturnow

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand there's no audio output device is installed,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Did you perform the hard reset?

Have you checked if the headphones work?

While you respond to that, here's what you may want to do:

Step 1: Restart the computer  

Step 2: Use the troubleshooting tool in Windows 

Step 3: Test external speakers or headphones 

Step 4: Set the default audio device 

Step 5: Restoring or updating the audio driver 

Step 6: Perform a hard reset 

The best way to resolve the issue is to follow the suggestions of the HP Guided Troubleshooter:  

Click here to access it (simply select your description of the issue from the bottom of the screen to gain access to the next set of steps that should resolve your concern). 

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
bhturnow
6 5 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello and thank you for the reply.  There is no sound at all from speakers or headsphones as there is no audio devide installed to play sound.  All I have is "no audio device installed" icon on the lower left corner.  Nothing even shows up in the Device Manager regarding sound.  It is like the sound card is not present.  I used to work, but no longer does.  It is like it disappeared.  

I tried the HP Troubleshooter several times but no luck.  I tried all steps listed and suggestions but no change at all.

Please clarify by what you mean "hard reset".  I powered off the computer many times and reooted it many times, but no luck or help.

Thank you for any more advice.

Be well,

Brad

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,418 21,373 1,802 2,891
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@bhturnow

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

By hard reset I meant this: Click here

And Please try downloading and reinstalling the Realtek HD Audio software package using the below link:

Click here to download

If the issue persists, try installing the generic drivers:

If the last version I provided didn't help, Click here to download and install another version.

If the issue persists, please try the below steps:

1. Go to Windows Device Manager > Sound, video and game controllers section.
  2. In the list of audio device drivers, look for Realtek High Definition Audio. This is the device driver for BeatsAudio (a little bit sneaky, wouldn’t you say?).
  3. Right-click and select Disable. The downward arrow displays on this driver, indicating it is disabled. (NOTE: At this point, you won’t be able to play any music files.)
  4. Right-click and select Update Driver Software.
  5. Select Browse my computer for driver software.
  6. Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
  7. You should see a window that says Select the device driver you want to install for this hardware. NOTE: If you see a window that says something like This is the best driver for this device, exit the window and repeat steps 4, 5, and 6.
  8. In the Model box, highlight High Definition Audio Device (this is the substitute audio device driver) and click Next.
  9. At the Update Driver Warning window, click Yes. You should see a confirmation window with High Definition Audio Device displayed. Click Close.
  10. In the list of audio device drivers in the Sound, video and game controllerssection, you’ll notice that the High Definition Audio Device now displays instead ofRealtek High Definition Audio.
  11. At the prompt to reboot, click Yes.

If none of the above helps, please run a hardware test to audio card to determine the issue:

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  3. On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.

4. Click Extensive Test.

5. Click Run once, or Loop until error.

While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component are shown on the screen.

6. If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) so you have it available when you contact HP Customer Support. The information is also available in Test Logs on the main menu.

Audio Test - The Audio Playback Test checks your system to make sure the audio device is functioning properly. During the test, a few music notes are played in sequence and then repeated. This test takes 1 minute to complete.

To run the test, click Audio, and then click Run once. Choose either the speakers or the headphones. When asked, enter the number of notes you heard.

Let me know how that pans out

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon,

followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' as it would help the community gain more knowledge,

And Have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
bhturnow
6 5 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you.  I will try these steps and let you know ASAP.  Be well.  Brad

0 Kudos
bhturnow
6 5 0 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,  I ran through each step, step by step including the hard reset and downloaded the new Realtek driver you included.  Unfortuantely, I did not have any success.  In the BIOS setup, it does make sound during certain keystrokes, so I hear sounds coming out of the speakers.  My computer is older so I don't have the F2 option to enter diagnostics ay boot up.  The only dignostics tests I can run are on memory and the hard drive.  

I am downloading sp82165.exe right now, the Dignostic Software from HP, and I will see what that will do.

The first download I did as you suggested did add something to Device Manager under sound, but still no audio device.

I attached 3 screen shots below as well if that helps.

FYI - I did have sound on this machine.  It did work and sound great.  

Thank you again for your time and advice,

Much appreciated.

Be well.   Brad

IMG_0567 (Copy).jpgIMG_0569 (Copy).JPGIMG_3439 (Copy).JPG

0 Kudos
bhturnow
6 5 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

FYI - I also ran the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI).  The audio test failed but it did not give me a ID number.  It was blank.  Thank you again for any help.  Be well.  Brad

0 Kudos
bhturnow
6 5 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,  I did not mean to post again, but got this message as well while running the troubleshooter.   I thought it might help.

"Both the Windows Audio and the Windows Audio End Point Builder services must be running for audio to work correctly. Atleast one of these services isn't running."
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation