Doodlez Honor Student
Honor Student
4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Probook 4520s: sound card doesn't work (no sound, red mute button)

Нello!

I have an issue with my HP Probook 4520s. Its internal speakers  and microphone doesn't work. I've tried to install and reinstall drivers from here, tried to rollback driver to older version but I always have the same result: installed the IDT sound codec, and after a restart, the mute button  turned red and I cannot switch it.

Soundcard device ID: HDAUDIO\FUNK_01&VEN_111&DEV_7605

How can I fix it?

7 REPLIES 7
ProbookuserNL Honor Student
Honor Student
3 1 0 0
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Same problem here. After repair of the display cable (Probook is just 2 years old!) by service centre a white cross-red dot

through the speaker-icon appears. Service centre cannot fix it.

HP helpdesk chat reports soundcard is defect. Soundcard is part of motherboard is said so motherboard needs to be exchanged.

Second opinion learns that soundcard is NOT a part of the motherboard.

I've bought a replacement Probook with a working, checked it!, motherboard and soundcard.

New motherboard and soundcard have been placed incl. different Windows 7 but still (again) no sound.

Can anybody give a solution ?

0 Kudos
Ugis Top Student
Top Student
1 1 0 2
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, just registered to post my solution. I got HP ProBook 4330s in for repair. Problem: some sticky liquid spilled all over and no sound. Also discovered that no microphone as well, but webcam did work just fine.

What I tried:

1) Installed fresh Win 7 Ultimate 32-bit and all official drivers (audio driver did not want to install), still no sound. Sound icon shows red cross. Message: No audio output device installed.

1) Installed the newest version of BIOS, in my case F.40, still no sound.

2) Pluged in headphones, still no sound.

3) Took apart, unpluged and firmly inserted every possbile cable, still no sound.

4) Found in BIOS everything that relates to Audio. Made sure Audio device is enable, still no sound.

5) Install XP and installed XP sound driver, still no sound. In fact, that driver did not install correctly, showed some kind of error.

What did work, in consecutive order:

1) Took apart again and took out the coin battery that retains the BIOS data, date, clock etc.

2) Put everything back together, switched on, entered the correct date in BIOS settings, and started Win 7 Ultimate. Still no sound. But I noticed that Win 7 Ultimate has found some devices and was installing drivers for it. Though did not check exactly which ones.

3) If I could not get the sound working I was determined to buy some speakers with USB connection. Then, I remembered that I already had a set of speakers for another laptop. These speakers had USB connection to draw power from and a grean standard headphone connection/plug to draw audio signal. I plugged in these speakers into HP 4330s and the sound started coming from these external speakers. The sound icon next to the clock in bottom right corner switched to normal mode and I could control volume with my mouse. Then I unpluged external USB speakers and the sound started coming from the HP's built in speakers.

Checked with Device Manager that correct sound drivers are installed and microhpone appeared to be installed as well. Though did not check with Skype if microhpone was working.

I was soooo happy!!! I struggled with this problem for three long days, searched many forums (none gave solution), tried everything with drivers, took apart the laptop some three or four times (now I learned to do it with my eyes closed, so to speak).

I started to think that taking out the BIOS/date coin battery did the trick. There must be some glitch in BIOS to motherboard connection in these HP ProBook laptops, and all BIOS settings need to be reset.

I'll be happy if this helps someone.

Regents Professor
Regents Professor
4677 4661 235 573
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Ugis,

Thank you for posting your solution, Ugis.  This is what helps to make the forum such a great success.  For future issues though, you may have more luck on the forums designed for the ProBook, the HP Enterprise Business Community Forum

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
0 Kudos
GCSS Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thanks for you share solution when bios upgrade after sound card working properly

0 Kudos
DESPERA Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My problems started when I took out cmos battery.

I thought i must have damaged motherboard while dissasembling , but now I think it might be something else.

I know exactly how you felt, didn't sleep last night, did 3-4 assembling/deassemblings, instaled BIOS, tride all froums and advices etc.

I'll try some of your advices. Almost bought usb sound card today but it is not good for perofrmance of the lap, also I need system board sound to work because  I use lp to watch movies through hdmi cable on my tv.

i hate hp

0 Kudos
DESPERA Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Have to add this: everything went downhill with the windows 10 ''upgrade''...now I know why it is free.

Systemwas crashing so I had to go back to win 7 and then it was stuck , couldnt recover, had to reinstall windows but then other severe problems arose  including BSD etc ...etc...

0 Kudos
dentoo Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

just bought my laptop hp ProBook 4520s after aproximatelly 24hrs the internal speaker just went down and it starts having a kind of sound scratches track.
but on using earpiece it is good. I dont knw on what to do for now please help me out
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation