3 2 0 1
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Spectre x360 15- Static Hiss with Headphone Jack

Spectre x360 Convertible 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have a new Spectre x360 Convertible 15-bl0XX.

Product Number is Z4Z35UA#ABA

I have noticed an annoying static, hissing sound that occurs when I have my headphones plugged into the jack. The sound only  comes on when an app like Spotify is open, or if I use Edge or Chrome to go to Youtube. No music or video actually needs to be playing for the hissing to occur, I just need to open an app or website like I described. The sound goes away if I mute/ turn the volume down to zero via the keyboard shortcut. I believe it is the laptop's problem because my headphones work fine on other laptops, and I tested another set of headphones on the Spectre, only to get the same hissing.

I've been troubleshooting this via the "Sound Problems" option from the hp Guided Solutions webpage:

http://hp.dezide.com/ts/start.jsp?guide=soundweb.net&section=ccweb&sfs=tdoc&lc=en

-I restored the Audio Driver from HP recovery manager.

-I attempted to update the Audio Driver from HP recovery manager. Already up to date. Then I followed the instructions to uninstall each of the items under Sound, video and game controllers. The Realtek High Definition Audio(SST) reinstalled upon restarting the computer, the Intel(R) Display reinstalled when I right clicked on Sound, video and game controllers and clicked Scan for hardware changes. There was also a Nvidia Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) that I uninstalled. It disappeared and I couldn't figure out how to get it back. It didn't seem to result in any changes, so I'll worry about that later.

-I've restarted the computer, to no success

-My laptop does not have a removable battery as far as I can tell.

-I performed a hard reset. Did not seem to work. 

- I reset BIOS to defaults

-I ran the Audio test from HP PC hardware Diagnostics. 

-I updated BIOS (This took a lot of trouble. I had to refer to 

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Error-Installing-Bios-Update/td... )

I've yet to restore or reset my computer, or perform an HP System Recovery.  Is it worth it at this point? I'm wondering if other users have run into this issue, and if so, how they fixed it. 

I saw some posts detailing similar issues from 2015, where BIOS updates seemed to solve the issue. However, those were an older generation of this laptop, and the posts indicated that HP had fixed it. They did not give me much of a hint to solve my issue.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12747 12732 826 1420
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@pmcs14

Welcome to HP Support Forums. 🙂 

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP Spectre x360 - 15-bl012dx laptop and experience a hissing sound through the headphones. Fabulous analysis. Spectacular diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. You've done a remarkable job performing the steps. 

I read that you have reinstalled the audio drivers, tried using different headphones and the issue persists, updated the BIOS too. 

I would like to know the results of the Audio test from HP PC hardware Diagnostics. Because if the hissing noise was present through the headphones during the test then it confirms a hardware issue with the audio card. 

The evidence points towards a hardware issue. I suggest you to contact our HP phone support team to check the available service options for your laptop.

Hope this helps. Feel free to keep me posted for any questions. Good luck! 🙂

0 Kudos
pmcs14 Top Student
Top Student
3 2 0 1
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your response. I redid the Audio Test from HP Hardware Diagnostics. (To be clear, this is where I turned off the laptop, powered it on, pressed F2 reqpeatedly to get to HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI, and went into Component Tests->Audio. )

The hissing was indeed present through the testing, which played a couple notes and asked me how many were in the sequence. May I ask why you believe this to be a hardware issue rather than software, and if this is a widespread issue? The laptop is still within the exchange period, and I would like to get a working unit because I do like the laptop. However, I'm concerned that this will be a waste of effort if all Spectre x360 15" laptops have this issue. 

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12747 12732 826 1420
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@pmcs14

Glad to hear from you. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

During the hardware test, pure audio should be heard. During the audio test, the drivers are not used. The drivers are used in Windows operating system only. 

Therefore if the disturbance (hissing) is present during the hardware diagnoses, we term it has a hardware defect.

Hope this information helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. Take care! 🙂 

0 Kudos
pmcs14 Top Student
Top Student
3 2 0 1
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I exchanged the spectre for an identical model at BestBuy, and I'm still getting the hissing noise. I've confirmed with other people that they can hear it too, although I did not do the full diagnostic rundown with this laptop. Is this a known issue that's affecting every computer? I read that it was a widespread issue from the 2015 model, but that seemed to be resolved.

It's quite annoying but I'm not sure if it's worth going to BestBuy again to try and exchange if this affects every unit.

mr4x403 Top Student
Top Student
7 6 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I also have this issue and have done the same steps with no fix. Is there a solution i can do to fix the problem, or will i need a new computer?

0 Kudos
17630 13044 251 986
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation