Haider123
3 2 0 1
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post

HP Spectre x360 - 15-bl018ca - Left speaker issue

HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 15-bl018ca
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

There is no sound coming from the left speaker. I have tried updating the driver, restarting the computer and changing the balance. Anyone else having this issue with the HP Spectre X360 15inch? 

Also, the sound from the right speaker is not that great now. It's been just a few months and I am having these issues. If anyone has any solutions then please let me know? 

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
cramirez235
1 1 0 0
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I had the exact same issue since yesterday, tried The same methods to fix it with no luck, if you figure it out please let me know

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
MKazi
Retired
Retired
12,746 12,697 830 1,559
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Haider123

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP Spectre x360 - 15-bl018ca laptop. I read that there is no sound output from the left speaker. Lately, the sound from the right speaker too is not good. You've done a remarkable job performing the troubleshooting steps. 

Not worry, I'll do my best to help you. To provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• Did any software changes or updates happen on the laptop recently?
  • Do you have external speakers to connect and check the audio?
  • Also, have you tried connecting headphones and tested the sound?

Meanwhile, I did some research and suggest you to perform the following steps to isolate and fix the issue:

• Power off the laptop.
  • Remove the battery out. If the battery is integrated and does not have a latch to release it then leave the battery inside the laptop.
  • Disconnected AC adapter from the laptop.
  • Press and hold the power button for 15 seconds.
  • Reconnect the battery and plug the AC adapter.
  • Power ON the laptop.

Please initiate a hardware test on the audio. The following steps will help:

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  • Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second.

• The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu is displayed.

HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI screen

• Select component tests.

List of the Component tests

• Please initiate a test on the Audio - The Audio Playback Test checks your system to make sure the audio device is functioning properly. During the test, a few music notes are played in sequence and then repeated. This test takes 1 minute to complete. Click Audio, then click Run once. Choose either the speakers or the headphones. When asked, enter the number of notes you heard.

If there is no sound from the left speaker and the right speaker produces not good audio then the evidence points towards a hardware issue. In such a case, I suggest you to contact our HP phone support to explore the hardware service options for your HP laptop.

If the audio test passes, then please continue to perform the steps from the audio troubleshooter guide. These steps help in fixing audio related issues.

Also, please update the BIOS on your HP laptop via this link.

I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Let me know how it goes. All the best! 🙂

MKazi
Retired
Retired
12,746 12,697 830 1,559
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@cramirez235

Welcome to HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I read that you have an HP Spectre x360 - 15-bl018ca laptop and there is no audio from the left speaker. Also, the sound from the right speaker is not good. Not worry, I'll do my best to help you. To provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• Did any software changes or updates happen on the laptop recently?
  • Do you have external speakers to connect and check the audio?
  • Also, have you tried connecting headphones and tested the sound?

Meanwhile, I did some research and suggest you to perform the following steps to isolate and fix the issue:

• Power off the laptop.
  • Remove the battery out. If the battery is integrated and does not have a latch to release it then leave the battery inside the laptop.
  • Disconnected AC adapter from the laptop.
  • Press and hold the power button for 15 seconds.
  • Reconnect the battery and plug the AC adapter.
  • Power ON the laptop.

Please initiate a hardware test on the audio. The following steps will help:

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  • Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second.

• The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu is displayed.

HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI screen

• Select component tests.

List of the Component tests

• Please initiate a test on the Audio - The Audio Playback Test checks your system to make sure the audio device is functioning properly. During the test, a few music notes are played in sequence and then repeated. This test takes 1 minute to complete. Click Audio, then click Run once. Choose either the speakers or the headphones. When asked, enter the number of notes you heard.

If there is no sound from the left speaker and the right speaker produces not good audio then the evidence points towards a hardware issue. In such a case, I suggest you to contact our HP phone support to explore the hardware service options for your HP laptop.

If the audio test passes, then please continue to perform the steps from the audio troubleshooter guide. These steps help in fixing audio related issues.

Also, please update the BIOS on your HP laptop via this link.

Haider123
Author
3 2 0 1
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I was able to get the left speaker to work by unistalling the driver and reinstalling it. However, the sound issue in the Right speaker still remained. In fact now there is no sound coming from the right speaker. 

The BIOS update gives an error message. Is there any way to fix this issue without having to spend hours with support? 

Haider123
Author
3 2 0 1
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Update:

Uninstalling the driver again got both speakers to work. However, the sound is really distorted for the Right Speaker. 

MKazi
Retired
Retired
12,746 12,697 830 1,559
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Haider123

Glad to know that uninstalling and reinstalling the audio drivers got both speakers to work. 

But to isolate the issue further, I suggest you to run a hardware test on the audio. The steps are provided in my previous post to run the hardware test.

Also, if possible, please test the performance by connecting external speakers (if available) or headphones.

If the issue persists during the hardware test then it confirms a hardware defect with the right speaker. In such a case you may contact our HP phone support team to explore the hardware service options for the laptop.

Good luck! 🙂

jclimaco84
2 2 0 0
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm also having the same issues right now. My right speaker won't play.

I was playing music one time when the sound from the right speaker suddenly stopped giving out sound. Now the left speaker's volume goes up and down for some reason.

If I uninstall these drivers will I be able to find the drivers on the device manager for re-installing?

jclimaco84
2 2 0 0
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Just finished uninistalling and re-installed them. Right speakers still no sound coming out. 

Vinzy
Level 1
9 3 0 1
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, I have exactly the same issue. Firstly the left speaker had very low sound and right was fine. After a clean install of the audio driver (version 6.0.1.8544 from 25th Sep 2018) the left started working fine but the right one has very little sound coming out compared to left now. Not sure what's going on. I have run all the hardware test and they all resulted ok. In addition, the BIOS is also updated. It surely is a software issue. 

please guide.

Thanks

Vineet

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation