Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 13-AE013DX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I haven't done anything suspicious on the laptop but am getting no sound from the speakers under Windows. I continue to get sound from headphones under Windows. Sporadically, when I disconnect the headphones, I can get the sound from the speakers, but only for a few seconds.

Tried the steps from a similar issue described here and, as the latest, here (save for steps 7+, which are a drama),  to no avail.

As the UEFI "audio" test is successful (I can hear sound from the speakers), am pretty sure the problem is with Windows 10 -- perhaps with some update (I am on Win 10 1803, having had 1903 recently failed as "my PC is not yet ready").

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks / Zhenya

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @Zhenya_shubin1

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Download and install the audio driver from this link

Also, try updating the computer - 

Step 1 Windows Updates -

1) In the search box, type and open Windows Updates.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Step 2 HP Support Assistant Updates -

1) In the search box, type and open HP Support Assistant.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Downgrading the audio driver did not help.

I took a pause before your Step 2 and rebooted. No changes.

In your Step 2, the latest audio driver is installed. No changes.

HP Recommended

@Zhenya_shubin1

Try a system restore - 

1. Shutdown the computer.

2. Turn the computer back on again and repeatedly tap on the ESC until a Startup menu appears.

3. Press F11 once for System Recovery.

4. Choose the Keyboard Layout.

5. Click on Troubleshoot.

6. Go to Recovery Manager and click on System Restore.

7. Choose a Restore point or a Restore date when the computer was working fine.

8. Click on OK to initialize the System Restore.

Let  me know. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Ashmita6658,

(1) I had tried a system restore but it failed (perhaps because I chose not the latest but the earliest available restore point, of August 31). Any way, now I have no restore points available for a time ealier than when the problem occurred.

(2) I've uninstalled the latest Windows updates KB4512509, KB4511521 and KB4512501 and rebooted. Still no sound from the speakers but (as per the original problem state) there is sound from the headphones. I disconnect the headphones and now there is sound from the speakers. Until Windows auto-installed those updates again. When it returned to the original problem state (= there is sound from headphones but no sound from speakers).

(3) I repeat step 2. Same behaviour as before in step 2. While Windows has not yet auto-installed those update back and while watching a movie and doing nothing else, sound from the speakers stops. I insert the headphones, there is sound from the headphones. I disconnect the headphones and again get sound from the speakers.

(4) Those steps were yesterday. Today, I check the Windows system event log around the time when sound from the headphones last ceased. The following logs should probably address the issue (though, it's hard to say for sure; not being an IT pro, it's hard for me to navigate through various events in the logs):

(Note: some detailed are redacted, see in square brackets below):

Information 10-Sep-19 04:13:11 EventLog 6006 None The Event log service was stopped.

Information 10-Sep-19 04:13:05 User32 1074 None "The process [X]:\Windows\System32\RuntimeBroker.exe ([USER NAME]) has initiated the restart of computer [USER NAME] on behalf of user [USER NAME]\[USER NAME] for the following reason: Other (Unplanned)
Reason Code: 0x0
Shutdown Type: restart
Comment: "

Information 10-Sep-19 04:12:17 Microsoft-Windows-UserPnp 20001 (7005) Driver Management concluded the process to install driver hdxssthpnb.inf_amd64_[SPECIFIC ID] for Device Instance ID INTELAUDIO\[HARDWARE ID]\[SPECIFIC ID] with the following status: 0x0.

Warning 10-Sep-19 04:12:05 Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP 225 (223) The application \Device\HarddiskVolume[X]\Windows\System32\audiodg.exe with process id [X] stopped the removal or ejection for the device INTELAUDIO\[HARDWARE ID]\[SPECIFIC ID].
Information 10-Sep-19 04:12:05 Microsoft-Windows-UserPnp 20003 (7005) Driver Management has concluded the process to add Service IntcAzAudAddService for Device Instance ID INTELAUDIO\[HARDWARE ID]\[SPECIFIC ID] with the following status: 0.

The "HARDWARE ID" (redacted above) is the same as the hardware ID of Realtek High Definition Audio(SST) device/driver installed.

Something wrong with the driver? Someone else, who had a similar issue, reported that updating drivers and BIOS helped. But I already have the latest drivers and BIOS.

(5) Right now, Windows auto-installed the updates from step 2 above and requests me to reboot. There is sound from the headphones but no sound from the speakers (even if I disconnect the headphones). I have not yet rebooted.

Interim conclusion: The issue is probably with one of the mentioned Windows updates. Any ideas which one of them and how to resolve this? 

If you need any diagnostic reports for you to brainstorm the issue further, please let me know how to produce reports and how to provide them to you securely (in a non-public way).

On an aside: HP Support Assistant / HP download website do not allow downloads from a Russian IP (at least to me). Only when I switch on a VPN, downloads progress. Please also fix.

HP Recommended

@Ashmita6658,

Update to my last message: I rebooted. The same problem as last reported: originally, no sound from the speakers; there is sound from the headphones; if I disconnect the headphones, I get sound from the speakers. Then, in one minute, I get no sound from the speakers. A repeat of the process (connect-disconnect the headphones) gives no sound from headphones.

HP Recommended

@Zhenya_shubin1

Appreciate you trying the troubleshooting steps. I'd suggest you reach out the HP Support in your region regarding this issue, they should be able to help by taking a remote access of your computer. 

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

All, the issue is resolved.

First, called local HP support. Basically, unhelpful.

Then, called local Microsoft support. They were unexpectedly very helpful and spent a few hours troubleshooting the problem. They rolled back the audio driver to 6.0.1.8351. Initially, this did not help. As I had no time to further troubleshoot, I left it "as is" for a day or two. Maybe Windows installed some auto-updates or not, but then, after a few reboots, I got the sound back.

(When it initially didn't work, Microsoft support gave me an interim major Windows update to try, the 2nd version of update 1809 (I have 1803 and my machine is not yet ready to 1903). As said, I didn't need to install it).

HP Recommended

Did you try restoring point to previous windows or drivers update.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.