Honor Student
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP laptop not recognizing headphones with Bluetooth

HP Pavilion Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I first received my laptop, using a headphone via jack would not supress the laptop speakers.  Noticed Event log from pre-purchase op sys install- something like 'requires further installation' in reference to realtek soundcard driver.  After an MS update the problem went away. NOW I get Sony MDR-100ABN headphones with Bluetooth wireless.  I followed instr to press headphone on-off button and hold for pairing with my laptop Bluetooth.  And sure'nuf laptop Settings-Bluetooth indicates Bluetooth is ON and "h.ear(MDR100ABN)" is paired.  No sound is coming through headphones.  Sound, instead, is coming through  onboard laptop speakers.  So I test the headphones by adding the cable and inserting it into the headphone jack - works beautifully and the speakers are quiet.  Obviously would prefer using headphones wirelessly.  I expected that as soon as headphones paired with the laptop bluetooth the sound would route into headphones and the onboard laptop speakers would be silenced.  Opposite is happening.  Need help.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
19,327 19,000 1,584 2,645
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@stardustuser

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,
The Riddle_Decipher is at your service.

As I Understand the HP laptop not recognizing headphones with Bluetooth,

Don't worry and just follow the steps mentioned below, by the end of it everything should be back to normal,

Ensure you have set the headphones as default on playback devices, let me know if you've done that but issue persists,

And Let's start with the Hard Reset: (To release any excessive static causing the issue).

This method works for a variety of Driver connection and ‘stuck’ program issues, etc...

• Shut down the computer
  • Disconnect all external devices - everything.
  • Remove AC power and the battery
  • Press and hold power button for at least 30 seconds
  • Reconnect the AC power (only),
  • Power on > Login
  • Next time you shut down the system, reinstall battery and follow the below steps.

For more steps: Click here

To help you in Understanding and troubleshooting Bluetooth wireless technology: Click here

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
stardustuser Honor Student
Honor Student
3 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unable to perform suggested hard reset. My user guide states that removing or replacing the battery could affect warranty coverage. Please advise.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
19,327 19,000 1,584 2,645
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@stardustuser

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

Please go ahead with the recommended steps as this information is being advised by HP, 

Hence it would not affect the warranty coverage.

let me know if any further assistance is required.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation