Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

The hdmi sound from laptop to Philliphs tv worked the first couple of times, then it stopped working. Now I have realized that the sounds works fine with spotify, with speakers test and windows sound, but not with tv programs from internet and hbo (sent from laptop). Even if  the sound icon 'Philips tv' appeares as the output device, even if the tv device is default, and even if the laptop see it and confirm that there are not problems with the hdmi sound, there is not sound, as I wrote above, when tv og hbo are sent from laptop.

I have therefor updated also the tv sowtware but without results.

On the laptop: I have updated all updates plus specificy drivers on device manager.

I have followed step by step support from HP and other online supports, I have tried 4, 5 different suggested things repeatedly and it still not working. 

I'd be greatfull if someone could help me. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi! @Ginevra,

Have you tried checking with a different HDMI cable?

Have you increased the volume on your TV?

Please share the product number of the PC to assist you better.

Try the steps recommended below.

If the HDMI device is not set as default device, you cannot hear the sound from HDMI output. Follow steps below to set the HDMI device as Default Device:

1) Right-click on sound volume icon in the lower right corner of Windows. A context menu will pop up.
2) Click Playback devices.

3) Right-click and select show disabled devices.

4) Check if the HDMI option is listed now.
5) If the HDMI option is listed In the Playback tab, select Digital Output Device or HDMI option. Click Set Default and click OK. Then the HDMI sound output will be set as default.  
If you do not see the Digital Output Device or HDMI option in the Playback tab, right click on the blank place, then click Show disconnected devices and Show disabled devices on the context menu. Then set it as default device.

Open the Device Manager in Windows 10.
Navigate to Sound, video, and game controllers.
Now connect your PC to TV using HDMI connection.
This will show some “HDMI Audio” related driver under the above section.
Now right-click that item and UNINSTALL it.
Now right-click Sound, video, and game controllers and select “Scan for hardware changes“.
This will install a typical driver which is something like this – “Device with HDMI AUDIO OUTPUT SUPPORT”.

Also, try the steps recommended below.

• Control Panel, Sound, Manage Audio Devices
• The Soundbox will pop up.
• On the playback tab, you should see two icons. One for your laptop speakers, one for the external monitor/TV.
• Double click on the Laptop speakers, then click "Set Default" button on the bottom.
• The Laptop Speakers will be "Checked".
• Select OK and exit.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot HDMI issues with your PC. Click Here

Also, uninstall the audio and graphics drivers from the device manager and install the latest version of drivers using HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know more information about using the HP support assistant. Click Here

Let me know if this works!

I hope you have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi! @Ginevra,

Have you tried checking with a different HDMI cable?

Have you increased the volume on your TV?

Please share the product number of the PC to assist you better.

Try the steps recommended below.

If the HDMI device is not set as default device, you cannot hear the sound from HDMI output. Follow steps below to set the HDMI device as Default Device:

1) Right-click on sound volume icon in the lower right corner of Windows. A context menu will pop up.
2) Click Playback devices.

3) Right-click and select show disabled devices.

4) Check if the HDMI option is listed now.
5) If the HDMI option is listed In the Playback tab, select Digital Output Device or HDMI option. Click Set Default and click OK. Then the HDMI sound output will be set as default.  
If you do not see the Digital Output Device or HDMI option in the Playback tab, right click on the blank place, then click Show disconnected devices and Show disabled devices on the context menu. Then set it as default device.

Open the Device Manager in Windows 10.
Navigate to Sound, video, and game controllers.
Now connect your PC to TV using HDMI connection.
This will show some “HDMI Audio” related driver under the above section.
Now right-click that item and UNINSTALL it.
Now right-click Sound, video, and game controllers and select “Scan for hardware changes“.
This will install a typical driver which is something like this – “Device with HDMI AUDIO OUTPUT SUPPORT”.

Also, try the steps recommended below.

• Control Panel, Sound, Manage Audio Devices
• The Soundbox will pop up.
• On the playback tab, you should see two icons. One for your laptop speakers, one for the external monitor/TV.
• Double click on the Laptop speakers, then click "Set Default" button on the bottom.
• The Laptop Speakers will be "Checked".
• Select OK and exit.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot HDMI issues with your PC. Click Here

Also, uninstall the audio and graphics drivers from the device manager and install the latest version of drivers using HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know more information about using the HP support assistant. Click Here

Let me know if this works!

I hope you have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Apollo,

Of course I have done that and much more as I wrote, infact, I have done everything what was possible to do, but without solving the problem. I can f.ex. hear from computer to TV  Spotify but not tv programs, therefor I have figured out that the hdmi plug in the computer is broken and this is why it is not functioning correctly. Trying computer and cable on other tv I have received the confirmation that that is the problem. Soon the computer goes to reparation.

Don't need further help. Thank you community!

HP Recommended

Hi! @Ginevra,

Thanks for the update. And as I mentioned in my previous post to check with the HDMI cable.

Sounds like you figured out the issue and thanks for the confirmation.

Take Care! 

Happy Weekend! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.