Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Whenever I plug in my headphones, the computer doesn't register it and plays the audio outloud through my speakers. I bought new headphones when I first encountered this issue, and the next pair didn't work. They seem to work off and on- when I first tried using them, they didn't work. A few weeks later, they did. Now, they don't again. I just bought the laptop two months ago in August, there's been no damage to it. I'd like to resolve this issue as soon as possible.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@krista8

Welcome to HP support community.

Check those headphones with an alternate device such as a Smartphone, laptop, etc... 

If they work on the alternate device, check if the Headphones are enabled as a playback device. 

To do this, please see the steps below: 

• Click the Start Pearl and then type Sound in the Start Search Box. 

• Select Change Sound Card Settings in the Start Menu Options. 

• Next, under the Playback Tab, right click and select Show Hidden Devices and Show Disconnected    Devices if available. 

• Select Headphones and enable 

To Increase the volume on your headphone: 

Method 1 

• Right-click the volume icon in the notification area. 

• Click Open Volume Mixer and increase the volume for Headphones. 

Method 2 

• Right-click the volume icon in the notification area. 

• Go to Playback devices and right click Headphones under Playback. 

• Go to Properties and set the volume to the maximum under Levels tab. 

• Click Apply and OK. 

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for getting back to me!

Unfortunately, my device is listed as a playback device, enabled, and still not working with the volume up. I have tried this with both sets of my headphones, and they work when connected to my phone. On occasion, the headphone jack has worked. However, when it has worked is random and inconsistent- and I have not changed the settings between uses.

@sandytechy20

HP Recommended

<P>Thanks for getting back to me!</P><P>&nbsp;</P><P>Unfortunately, my device is listed as a playback device, enabled, and still not working with the volume up. I have tried this with both sets of my headphones, and they work when connected to my phone. On occasion, the headphone jack has worked. However, when it has worked is random and inconsistent- and I have not changed the settings between uses.</P>

HP Recommended

@krista8

Update the Bios and audio driver HP Support Assistant.

Download and run the HP Support Assistant from this Link: Click here

HPSA will automatically search for all the latest drivers for your Notebook

1. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.

Click Updates in the My notebook pane

2. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.

Updates list in HP Support Center

3. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.

4. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.

5. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.