Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp pavilion15cs-0016
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When i plug my ear phones into the laptop the audio only plays through the speakers on  my laptop i have tried turning it of and on and i know that the ear phones work. Please help.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@ouhifcgr6tuyvru

Welcome to HP Forums,  

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,
Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

I see that your experiencing issue with an audio output port, 
Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• Are you using the 3.5mm jack or USB powered headphones?
  • When was the last time it worked fine?
  • Did this happen after a recent window or software update?
  • Have you checked with different headphones or external speakers?

While you respond to that, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix:

Let's make sure the device is recognized by the computer

1. Connect the device to the computer.

2. From the Start screen, type sound to open the Search bar, then select Sound from the search results.

3. Click the Playback tab in the Sound window.

Also, check for the latest drivers,

1. Connect to the Internet.

2. From the Start screen, type device manager to open the Search charm, then select Device Manager from the search results.

Figure: Device Manager search results

Device Manager search results
  3. Double-click Sound, video and game controllers.

4. Right-click the name of the sound hardware and select Update Driver Software.

Figure : Update Driver Software option in Device Manager

Update Driver Software option in Device Manager
  5. Click Search automatically for updated driver software and wait for Windows to update the driver software.

Figure : Updated Driver Software: Search automatically for updated driver software

Updated Driver Software: Search automatically for updated driver software
  6. Windows checks to see if updated driver software is available.

If an update is available, let Windows install the update.

7. When the update is installed successfully, close the Updater and test the device.

Figure : Windows has successfully updated your driver software

Windows has successfully updated your driver software

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below,

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.